To bleed intake charge or not to bleed intake charge?

Discussion in 'Challenger R/T Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Moparisto, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

The idea being "How can we get away with higher compression without causing detonation and spark-retarding?"

Since actual compression is the problem with pre-ignition more than whatever the static number is, can we bump up the static compression to some otherwise-unheard-of figure like 15:1, till using pump gas, and use cam timing to push excess intake charge back up the intake port at lower RPM, for a reduced actual compression ratio, but still good efficiency with what we do manage to burn?

This would, I theorize, also play well with higher RPM power, as engines seem to love higher compression if it is coupled with higher-RPM power production.

Also, since you have a nice, long duration on the intake valve, the whole push-the-air-back-out effect would be decreased as RPM rose, resulting in greater cylinder fill at higher RPM.

I prefer this to discarding that precious gasoline out the exhaust port by just having long-overlap cam timing. Since it isn't carbureted, you aren't going to be double-dipping the intake air through the carb venturis to cause an over-rich mixture, which is a potential problem in carbureted engines with intake reversion.\

It makes me wonder just how much more cylinder fill one could achieve when one crosses over the bounce-back-out-the-valve point and the engine just doesn't have the time to cause anything to be pushed back out the intake valve due to higher RPM. Intake valves are already open still during the piston's upward travel, opening at, say, 15 degrees BTDC ( I have no idea what the real spec is) and closing at some time well after bottom dead center, or ABDC.

I know at SOME RPM every engine will hit its optimum cylinder fill/scavenging combination. Is a far-longer opening event one way to get away with much higher static compression without paying the penalty of preignition?

I know conventional long-duration valve events add overlap to be able to stuff more duration in, which can hurt efficiency, as unburned fuel is discarded out of the exhaust, at least with non-direct-injection engines.

Of course, if we had sleeve-valve engines, we could, in theory, use more overlap, as the Hemi has its intake valve really close to the exhaust valve and in the same flow line.
    Anyone heard of anything out there on this? I'd like to hear what someone has learned

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  2. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Making for some sleepless nights. Please resolve this asap!

Moparisto likes this.
  3. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

LOL, literally I am laughing out loud. :D