Touchscreen turning off

Discussion in 'Challenger Audio/Video/Electronics Modifications' started by Amy Corrigan, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Amy Corrigan

Amy Corrigan New Member

I have had my touchscreen shut off a few times since purchasing my 2018 R/T Pre certified in March 2021. Yesterday I cranked it up in mid 30’s temperatures and let it warm up. After I headed toward work the touch screen shut off and turned back on 4 times in a 3 minute period. Hasn’t done it again. Is this a concern or possibly just a random glitch? Thank you!!

2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Welcome to the Forum.

Check your screen to see if it's delaminating. In other words ... is the top layer of the screen peeling or bubbling up?

It's a known issue with 2018+ radios. Take it to the dealer very soon because if that's the problem, it's only going to get worse.

And if the dealer give you any static (see what I did there??) call Dodge Cares solicit their help. You don't want to have to pay out of pocket for a new radio because they're a little over $1,000.

3. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

^^^ Is the issue related to how you clean the screen at all?? or just a factory defect?

I clean the screen surface gently, not rubbing too hard mostly so it won't scratch.

4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Welcome to the forum. Sorry that you're having a problem with your Challenger.
    No matter what may have caused it, it's definitely a problem. Check to see what warranty your pre-certified purchase may have since it's probably out of the 36 month factory warranty. My daughter had the same off/on issue with her unit. Dealer replaced it under her extended warranty contract. Deductible was $100, but much better that +$1,000 without it.
    Get it checked by the dealer, since you bought it in March hoping you have some warranty coverage left. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

5. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

It appears to be a defect from the company that makes the newer radios that feature Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Hopefully they had the kinks worked out by the time you picked up your 2020.

My buddy has a 2018 Challenger SRT 392 that spends most of its time in a climate-controlled garage. I think he has about 5,500 miles on it now. His radio had only had a damp microfiber towel on it. No solvents at all. Well ... Back in May his radio started freaking out on his way to a morning Cruise-In. Changing channels, changing climate control settings, turning off and on, etc. Sure enough, the screen was starting to delaminate at the very top. He was 3 weeks beyond his 36-month warranty and the dealer (where he bought this and two other vehicles) wouldn't cover it.

So ... he called Dodge Cares and they took good care of him. It took almost two months thanks to the dealer botching things up --- they forgot to order his new radio after Dodge okayed it among other issues --- but he finally got a new radio with $0 out of pocket.

NC20RT likes this.
  6. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

^^^ Thank you very much!