Transmission Lock Up

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by funny engine, Sep 27, 2019.

1. funny engine

funny engine Member

Wondering if anyone had this problem:
    My 2009 5.7 auto runs great 99% of the time. On a rare occasion (2-3 months), my transmission locks in a gear and will not shift. If 1st gear, it won’t shift up. If it locks in 2nd-4th gear, it won’t shift up or down.
    The only way I can correct the issue is to stop, put it in park, shut off the engine, give it 10 seconds, restart and go. Something seems to scram the power train module. I have 106k on my very well maintained RT...still looks and runs like new.

2. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

I assume your fluid level is correct? How old is the fluid?
    I had a car years back that would act similar when the trans got hot. The garage changed out the fluid and the problem went away.

3. funny engine

funny engine Member

I was suspicious of the fluid level and/or age of fluid.
    No trans dip stick so no help there.
    Trans fluid is original....106k miles.
    During my last vehicle state inspection, I requested a trans fluid change. I was told that it was not necessary ( first time I’ve ever seen a dealer service dept turn down work)
    Now I’m looking for another dealer to change the fluid.

4. funny engine

funny engine Member

Here’s the latest:
    after doing some web research and speaking to a Dodge service advisor, it appears the shifting issues may center around the input speed sensor. On my transmission ( W5A580. ... model DGJ ), this sensor is located on an electronic board inside the transmission under the valve body. The entire board must be replaced. This board is called a conductor plate..... about $250.
    Filter and gasket should also be replaced.
    I’m ordering parts and arranging for service.

5. funny engine

funny engine Member

Here’s the rest of the story.
    Diagnostic codes were checked...... none present. (TCM)
    I was told by service that my research was probably the best guess at repair. I was also told that if I was going to spend money to replace the conductor plate (contains the speed sensors), I should replace the valve body also. Dodge sells the complete package at a savings vs purchasing each separately. Kind of a no-brainer..... several solenoids and moving parts on my 107k Mile valve body.
    Part was ordered.
    My appointment for install was on a Wednesday. I drove Monday until the transmission lock-up occurred. I immediately drove home and parked it. Drove in Wednesday, diagnostic code check revealed: P2784 input speed sensor 1/2 correlation and PO717 input shaft speed sensor 1 circuit no signal.
    Codes were present because they didn’t have time to clear themselves.
    Part installed.
    I also requested a transmission flush.
    Problem appears to be corrected.

6. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

[QUOTE="funny engine, post: 19045, member: 2482"
    My appointment for install was on a Wednesday. I drove Monday until the transmission lock-up occurred. I immediately drove home and parked it. Drove in Wednesday, diagnostic code check revealed: P2784 input speed sensor 1/2 correlation and PO717 input shaft speed sensor 1 circuit no signal.I also requested a transmission flush.
    Problem appears to be corrected.[/QUOTE]

What was the labor cost and final bill for this work?

7. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

If you replace the vavle body you might as well up grade the solenoids to the blue tops. the brown tops are the stock ones

8. funny engine

funny engine Member

$850 for the valve body and conductor plate.....sold together as a unit.
    $295 for a complete transmission flush
    $45 for miscellaneous parts ( O rings, gasket, BG flush product, BG transmission additive, small plug)
    Total with labor and tax....$1790

9. funny engine

funny engine Member

Here’s a few more bits of information that might be helpful:
    Every time a DTC is set in the TCM, the transmission goes into limp-home mode. Limp-home locks the transmission in one of two gears.....2nd gear or whatever gear you are in at the time the malfunction/DTC occurs. ( depends on other parameters)
    Certain DTC’s will reset on their own with a set number of ignition off/on cycles. An intermittent malfunction is an example of when the DTC will reset on its own and not appear in the TCM.
    DTC’s will remain permanently in the TCM if the malfunction is not intermittent. (reset by technician)

10. STEVEN NIX

STEVEN NIX Active Member

I've had cases of the harness being pulled to tight against the trans case. it does not have to rub through to cause a 12v. circuit to bleed voltage over to a 5v. circuit. i've had a lot of this over the years. if it happens again that is the spot to look at, but your problem and solution sounds very familiar