1. Blackbird

Blackbird Member

Who has the best tunes available for R/T's out there? I see on other forums a lot of people using DiabloSport but does anyone offer custom tunes? I know they aren't necessary for simple bolts on, but oten times they offer better driveability.

Speaking of simple bolt ons, do you need to reprogram the car if you add a cold air intake?

2. Bullishman13

Bullishman13 Full Access Member

DiabloSport's canned tunes are good to go for simple things like a CAI and different octane fuels. I put on an LMI Hammer CAI and tuned my car with the 93 OCT+CAI tune. It is a definite difference. I had a few people drive it beforehand without them knowing that I had intended to change it. Gave them a few days, asked them to hop in and see if they noticed any difference. The response was a definite yes.

DiabloSport :: Gas and Diesel Tuning Systems

The above url will give you a listing close to your zip code of approved DiabloSport CMR tuners. Give it a shot and see what helps.

Mind you, a tune is best when you've added parts to the car, or take them off. I ran my SRT8 Challenger on open headers and it sounded mean, but the throttle response was off and it had a slow pick-up. This is all due to changes in the back pressure on the exhaust system and such.

If you want a good tune, build up your car and dyno tune it. That is a true tune. What matters is the HP to the wheels and how efficiently it gets there.

Best of luck in your pursuit.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Member

Thanks for the response Bull! I should have specified; I used to work for a premier Ford tuner which taught me an immense amount of tuning between manufacturers and different dyno shops.

I also currently work in speed shop where I can get programmers, intakes, exhausts and various other stuff dirt cheap but I know a lot of different dyno shops will email customs tunes, that why I was asking who offers the best programming. It will probably be 100 years before I will have enough mods and money to justify needing a custom tune

4. Bullishman13

Bullishman13 Full Access Member

Good to know. Didn't want to seem as if I was overbearing or a know it all. I would stick with DiabloSport Predator or Trinity's. So far that I've seen, they are the most popular in the LX/LC community not because they sell the most, it's because they do good things.

Not too aggressive on tunes from the stock perspective on the tuners that are sold. I've seen some guys that have custom tuned theirs so much, the transmissions get ugly quick. I don't change the shift points or firmness. Even though mine is an automatic (NAG1 Transmission) I don't fook with it much.

5. AZ MSCL

AZ MSCL Member

If you have a '11 or a '12: Regarding a tuner, it may never happen. Hate to be negative but this is a real possibility unless Dodge releases the codes or somebody gets lucky and cracks them. If somebody cracks them, it could still be a warranty problem.

Arrington does a ECU/harness kit from a 2010 for around $1,000 (I think). B&G Performance can sell you a pre-programmed ECU (based on your existing mods) or you can send them your ECU and they will flash it. It will only work for current, installed mods and cannot be changed if you add new mods requiring tuning (have to do it all over again). About $1,000 if they supply the ECU and about $350 if you send them yours. The Arrington option may work the same way as the B&G setup, not sure. Nitrous kits could be an option too.

Bolt-ons not requiring tuning: Catback, CAI, 85mm Modern Muscle throttle body, catch can and wheels/tires (wider for better traction). Obviously, adding bigger/smaller wheels/tires could throw your speedo off so you'd have to guess about how much or take it to a speedo/tach shop who could tell you your actual speed vs speedo speed. A DS tuner tuner can fix this (08 - 10 models).

If you have a 08 - 10 model car, get a DS tuner and have at it! The Predator is on its way out, the Intune and Trinity are the new tuners by Diablo Sport. Don't buy "chips", they are crap and a waste of money.

I cut and pasted this info from other posts, don't mean to insult your intelligence as you stated you have knowledge of this stuff.

6. leatherman

leatherman Member

Ok, so has anyone out there used the Diablo I1000 DCX for the '11 and '12 models yet? $449 free ship. I would love to hear some feedback from this new tunner.

7. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Active Member

The intune is a predator in a new package, the tunes are the same, although some of the verbage is different. Been discussed thoroughly on Challengertalk.

8. leatherman

leatherman Member

Well before I go join another forum...lol Can the I1000DCX tune an '11 or '12 after supercharging?

9. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Active Member

If the SC you choose doesn't include a tune, some do , some don't, you are most likely going to have it dyno tuned. Most of the places near me use the predator with their dyno. The intune has the same features. You can data log and get it in the ballpark, if you are good, you might get it spot on. Arrington will email you a tune but they have been known to occasionally screw up. Not their fault , not all engines are the same even with the same modifications.

10. brandy16

brandy16 Member

Hemifever is good with our cars and has a very good reputation. Email tune will cost you $125 but you will need a diablosport tuner like the trinity to install it. The trinity can be bought from hemifever and it will include the tune. He will tweek it as many times as needed at no extra charge. The tuner cost $599.00 Diablo also sells the intune DCX for our cars and it cost a few hundred dollars less.