What is best chip to install that wont void warranty or screw up my baby?

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Thedean, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Thedean

Thedean Member

Hello from Dallas, TX. Im new here and wanted to find some more information from real people with the same hot rods. What is the best race chip to install that wont void factory warranty or screw up my car? Best deal for price? Best chip for car health? Best chip for power? Or just plain, best all around dependable NON-FACTORY-VOIDING chip? Oh, and also, are they even worth the $$ to spend on them?

Thanks,
    The Dean
    2010 SRT8

2. Thedean

Thedean Member

Nevermind, I found all the useful info on tuners now. Thanks guys for the helpful info on stupid chips. I know they are obsolete, but so is my 93 Z28 which had a chip.

3. clkelley

clkelley Full Access Member

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you find what you need for your Challenger.

4. heminit

heminit Full Access Member

Welcome to ChallengerForum! Enjoy!

5. dC.mx

dC.mx Full Access Member

Welcome to forums :)

6. clkelley

Just for the sake of putting it out there, anyone wanting to keep their factory warranty should leave the cars alone. No tuning at all, there are ways to tell at the dealerships that one has been tuned and in those cases you run the risk of having your VIN flagged by the manufacturer in which case the warranty will be voided.

7. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

Welcome to the forum.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Well-Known Member Staff Member Administrator

Can't you untune your car before taking to them and they won't know?

9. dC.mx

dC.mx Full Access Member

That's the best way.. But using chip in gasoline motor with no turbo or charger doesnt give much power id say. Id say if you get for example 20hp more you cant even notice that ! :disgust:

Anyway if you want power use the charger and not some chips !

10. clkelley

Well, I am not sure about that with the Dodge vehicles, on some newer vehicles, the dealer can hook up their scanners to check the data logs and tell if they match up with what factory specs should be. For example, and I know this is apples to oranges, but with the diesels that have the diesel particulate filters, they can tell by the number and frequency of the regeneration cycles whether the vehicles have been tuned in any way. They can look at other factors as well, but that is just one example.

But, like stated above, to just put a tuner on one will not have the effect and results most people expect when spending the money without having other major mods done to them. I think the industry has most people fooled with big claims for hp and tq gains that in real world applications just don't have the effect most people are looking for when they purchase a tuner. I am also a firm believer in NOT tuning a vehicle if you want to keep the factory warranty in effect simply because in my experience, even simple CAN tuners will sometimes have issues with the tuning that can cause issues.

But, like I stated, I am not familiar enough with the Dodge vehicles to say 100% whether they have that ability or not, but with later model GM vehicles for the most part, the dealership will be able to tell that there has been tuning added and with their recent financial troubles they tend to look for any excuse they can find to blacklist any VIN# that they feel has been messed with just to save the manufacturer money on warranty repairs.