which wire for direct power...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by LEGENDARY70, Sep 29, 2020.

1. LEGENDARY70

LEGENDARY70 Full Access Member

hello all.

Ok my cigarette lighter in my 2010 challenger is dead. so now i need to either replace it or tap into a fuse, radio, ac, etc to power up my rear view mirror reverse camera. what can i tap into so it can get power as soon as the car is turned on and off when the car is turned off?

or is it easier to replace lighter? please be specific....not very knowledgeable with stuff like this.

thx

2. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

How did you determine your lighter is dead? There may be power there and its only the element that’s NFG. If there’s no power have you checked the fuse yet. Your owners manual will tell you the fuse location.

3. LEGENDARY70

i connected the power end (lighter) of the mirror and there is no power? thx

4. LEGENDARY70

fuse. thx

5. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

since when have they been putting a lighter in these cars? i know I have a power outlet on my console..

6. Guy G Hopkins

Guy G Hopkins New Member

Power outlet that fits a cigarette lighter....cracks me up on how they changed the name...Mine was dead too and was told to check fuse # 18 in trunk....bam I got power in my cigarette lighter on console and now my radar is working...old men like me need to be reminded...

7. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

The cigarette lighter socket evolved into a power outlet years ago. All they did was remove the lighter element retainer from the bottom of the socket so it no longer holds and heats a lighter element.