Windshield / foam strip

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by kowalskis_kid, Jul 11, 2019.

1. kowalskis_kid

kowalskis_kid Member

The car is a 2015 sxt and when I was cleaning the inside of the windshield I noticed that there is a strip of foam rubber that is attached to the entire edge of the dashboard where it contacts the windshield glass. It is probably there to stop vibrations. It is kind of tucked in between the glass and the dash, however mine appears to have come loose from the dash and has worked itself out in a couple spots. My tried to tuck it back down but it is attached to the glass. Has anyone else had this issue? Any TSB's on this? I have an extended warranty but dont know if this would be covered. Thanks!

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Almost every car has this foam strip. It is held in place by adhesive on one side. To install a new strip, you have to pull the dashboard. A dealer will charge $250+ for this work. Read your extended warranty policy to see if this would be covered, or call the dealer.

3. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Definitely review your policy. I looked at my Mopar extended agreement and it covers mechanical and electrical components. It specifically excluded interior and exterior body components including sheet metal, glass, plastic, etc. That strip might be replaceable during a windshield replacement. (?) If so, if I were to spend over $250, I'd go for a new windshield. You'd be surprised at how much a 4 year old windshield's clarity degrades until you replace it. Good luck!

4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

yep, i got all kinds of micro chips and dings in mine, I will be getting one probably next year and a better quality one at that.

5. kowalskis_kid

kowalskis_kid Member

Thanks all for your replies. As it turned out the foam coming loose was not covered under the extended warranty. I decided to get it back in its original position myself. I didn't want to pull the dash or pull the glass so I made a tool to help me do it. Since I was not able to reach the foam with my fingers (that is a huge dash!) I glued a wooden tapered shim to a wood paint stir stick and was able to stuff it into position. YEA! Hopefully it will not come back out.

B5blueRT likes this.