Windshield Recall

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by SRT-Tom, Jul 21, 2021.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Inadequate Windshield Bonding/FMVSS 212
    A windshield that separates from the vehicle during a crash can increase the risk of injury.

Chrysler (FCA US, LLC) is recalling certain 2020-2021 Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, and Chrysler 300 vehicles. During manufacturing, the windshield may not have been properly bonded to the vehicle, allowing it to detach in a crash. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 212, "Windshield Mounting."

Dealers will remove and replace the front windshield urethane sealant, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed August 27, 2021. Owners may contact FCA US LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US LLC's number for this recall is Y47.

The suspect period began on October 27, 2020, when Brampton Assembly Plant added the non-conforming batch of clear coat to the system, and ended on December 4, 2020, when the suspect clear coat was used up during vehicle production. The suspect period was determined using vehicle production and supplier records.

21,258 vehicles were affected.

I wonder how the Dodge dealers will handle this? Normally windshield work is contracted out.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    tklietz and NC20RT like this.
  2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Thank you for all the details. I just checked my build date and it was in Sept 2020 so I should be safe.
    I really dislike going in for recalls. I had to bring my Mustang in 3 times for that stupid airbag recall.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You need to take the windshield out, strip the paint, epoxy prime the mounting area, then reset the windshield.

Make sure that the new windshield is OEM and contains the Challenger image on the driver side lower corner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    tklietz and NC20RT like this.
  4. tklietz

tklietz Member

Thank you - My build was 10/20 per the door so I might be getting a recall. I never noticed the Challenger image on the driver side lower corner. Montana uses sand and gravel instead of salt for winter ice so we tend to replace windshields often - gonna need to make sure I always get that logo!