2019 AWD CHALLENGER OIL WARRANTY

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by Morandy, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Gregory Cooper

Gregory Cooper Full Access Member

If that is true, I would like to know what brands they are.

2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Amsoil Signature Series 0w-40
    Mobile 1 European Car Formula 0w-40
    Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w-40
    And one I've never even heard of; Schaeffer's Supreme 9000

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  3. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I've never used Schaeffer's, but I have a buddy that lives in the St. Louis area that swears by it. It's a little pricy. Someone told me it's blueish so maybe my B5 Blue Challenger would like it. ;)

Mobil1's website still says that they do not offer a product that meets MS-12633 --- the spec for the 392 HEMI.

4. Katshot

It appears you are correct about the Mobile 1. I saw the following ad and assumed it was correct. Screenshot_20201016-083418.png

5. Wizard of Iz

I'd say their ad is somewhere between misleading and just plain wrong.

I've used Mobil1 in a variety of vehicles over the past 25+ years and never had an issue. In fact, I still use it in my "daily" 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS (3.4L V6, A4, Cloth, No Sunroof) four quarts at a time with an ACDelco oil filter. But apparently, Mobil1 can't pass (or won't submit to) the "taxi cab" test to measure protection at idle that's needed to meet MS-12633.

So ... while I still have some warranty left on our Challenger and Durango, I'm sticking with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I'm willing to admit that the Dodge engineers are just possibly smarter than me.

6. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

So, if you were to use Mobil1 in your hemi and had a engine failure found to be caused by lubrication issues, Chrysler probably would NOT cover it under warranty. But isn't that where the oil manufacturer's warranty would kick in? (Assuming receipts, change intervals, etc. are all met.)
    The average Joe isn't going to read all the specs on the labels and compare that to the owner's manual. Most would pick up a "high quality" synthetic with the understanding they are doing excellent preventative maintenance.

7. Katshot

To be 100% honest, I will tell you that I wouldn't have a problem using any full synthetic oil in my car, regardless of whether it claims to satisfy the MS-12633 spec or not. Heck, I wouldn't have a problem using most blends as well. As I've mentioned in the past, I'm not an oil snob and I've done enough oil comparisons over there years utilizing both engine tear-downs and oil analysis to satisfy me that most engines aren't terribly picky about what oil you use, and most oils are able to continue properly lubricating your engine for far longer than most people believe. To each, his own.

8. Katshot

Can't say I have any recent experience but back when I was in the business, engine failures that happened under warranty seldom came under scrutiny unless the tech looking at the car expressed an opinion about the failure being due to neglect or abuse. Some OEM's required an oil analysis prior to satisfying the claim. I mean, we had one car come in and the oil was so old that you could literally pull the drain plug and it wouldn't flow out!
    Most of the time it's really pretty obvious why the engine failed. Sometimes it's issues common to a specific engine. Sometimes obvious signs of abuse during inspection.

9. Wizard of Iz

I used Mobil1 in my previous Challenger simply because that was my habit. My "hope" was that they would stand behind their product if I had a problem. But the old saying, "hope is not a strategy" kept running through my mind and I decided that it was just as easy - and safer - to use Pennzoil when we bought a '17 Durango R/T and then my '15 Challenger SRT.

If I wasn't using Pennzoil, I would consider Valvoline. I have a buddy who is a loyal, long-time Valvoline user and reached out to them when he bought his Challenger SRT 392 regarding what specs it met. I am still impressed that they put a warranty in writing that they would cover his engine just like the factory warranty if he used their product.

10. Katshot

I think that if you were to really delve into it you'd find that many oils actually meet and/or exceed specs they don't advertise as meeting. Possibly the case here.
    As far as brand loyalty, I know many people will only use a certain brand. Maybe it was the brand their Dad used or some other subjective reason. Most people who express a preference probably fall into this category. Unfortunately, motor oil falls into the same category as many consumer products. While some products in a manufacturer's product line may be great at one point in time, there's no guarantee that everything in their product line is great and even if it is, there's no guarantee that it will continue to be. I used to subscribe to a service that routinely tested motor oils and then published the results to subscribers. It was quite common to see respected oil companies produce rather inconsistent quality. Sometimes you would see a certain brand drop in ratings for some time only to later return to a higher position in the ratings. I used to be a Castrol fan back in the 70's and 80's. Used it on all my vehicles. Never had an issue, so that's why I kept using it. Wasn't until I started learning more about engines and oils, and seeing actual tests that I found that my beloved Castrol wasn't actually as good as I thought. The best oil we found when I was a fleet manager was Pennzoil 15w-40 Long Life. Our testing supported it and we used it for years. I've stuck with Pennzoil over the years but truly have no idea if it's really any better than any other oil nowadays. To be honest, it really doesn't matter much anymore since I no longer do my own oil changes so I'm kind of stuck with whatever the shop uses.