275/40- 20 Tires

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

While the "old-school" staggered look is cool (heck, I did it back in the 70's), I prefer to have plenty of meat on the road for stopping and steering instead of just acceleration. Big cars like these especially benefit from the extra traction on the front end.

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Agreed, I wouldn't go less than 275x40ZR20's on the front, but would like to find a matched set of larger for the rear.

Nice thing of having 275x40's all the way around is you can rotate them the same time you do an Oil change.

3. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

You must really push your car hard or do a lot of auto-crossing. LOL

4. Katshot

Actually, years ago I found that the front tires on my cars tended to scuff the outside edge of the tread and eventually I realized that the reason wasn't an alignment issue, it was simply that I was driving aggressively in a large car ('75 Olds Cutlass and a '78 Pontiac Grand Prix at the time) and not enough rubber up front. From then on, I've always maximized the front contact patches and it's served me well. It's the main reason why my current car is such an amazing car on a road track. Mopar fitted "proper" rubber on this big beast! Of course it helps that the front end is a couple hundred pounds lighter too!

5. Katshot

All due respect, I believe my 305/35's are the "proper" size for these cars. If you ever get to drive a widebody back to back with a standard size tire car, you won't believe the difference.

6. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

well consider that these are arent alignable..... I have bought a set of adjustable upper control arms for mine. when I had a SRT spring and shock system installed, the alignment tech said it was at its tolerance and could not be adjusted any more. so in the next couple of weeks I will be getting the adjustable ones installed and hopefully the alignment will fall more into place and have a little lee way to play with.

I know back in the 90. I had a 98 Chevy PU. and it couldn't be aligned unless the front had some key holes punched out and a kit installed to align it. if I remember it cost me $150 for the labor and kit for the install, but since I have a friend who is the head mechanic at the dealer I deal with, he will be installing the upper control arms.

7. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I’m not surprised that you’re getting good results from the Zeons. I had the previous version on my 2011 R/T and liked them a lot. They were better than the stock Goodyears and definitely better than the Generals I had before the Coopers.

Any idea why the Cooper website shows no tire to match my 2015 Challenger SRT? I’m going to need tires in a few months and am beginning to weigh my options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Katshot

Whenever I look for tires I generally do my research on Tirerack.com

9. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

If you plug in 2015 Scat Pack 392, the Cooper site will recommend a 245/45-20 (Y-rated- 186 mph). This is because your SRT's top speed is 180 mph (manual) and 173 mph (automatic).

You can also use a wider 275/40-20 (Y-rated). This is what I have on my SRT.

However, if you don't autocross your SRT and don't plan to exceed 168 mph, a 305/35-20 (W-rated, 168 mph) tire will be totally safe for the street.

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/cooper-zeon-rs3-g1

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  10. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

That's the problem with todays generation.
    It's 90% ON-PAPER (well on the computer)

Bet Big Daddy (Don Garlits) worried about the Speed Rating of his tires when he broke 200 MPH :)