A satisfying 'normal' day in a Challenger

Discussion in 'Prospective Challenger Owners Forum' started by NC20RT, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

No point in taking a road trip with your wife if you know she's not going to be happy with the vehicle you're using.

2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Well ... there is a self-serving motive to limiting the time in Sport Mode. My wife is a little prone to motion sickness so I'm all in favor of keeping her comfortable in my Challenger.

Last year's week-long trip to the mountains and back was about 1,500 miles and featured a couple of 8+ hour days. We never felt beat up and never dreaded the next day's adventure. I can't say that for every car I've owned. I think it helps that my 2015 Challenger SRT 392 has the Adaptive Suspension. It's nice to have options.

3. tjfrombama

tjfrombama Full Access Member

Another note on the 4 cylinder mode. I can get 26 or so mpg on the freeway with it. Looks like you were getting 23. So, small difference. However, if you ever upgrade your exhaust (I just did to a cat back Flowmaster AT setup) the noise the 4 cylinder mode makes is quite annoying after some time. Guess that's why the factory put that huge resonator in there.

4. Katshot

MSD equipped cars have a different exhaust system from what I’ve read (unless they use the new style on all cars). You’re right about the 4 cyl mode being annoying with an aftermarket exhaust.

5. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Here's what I know to be true .... If you have an automatic transmission and still have MDS enabled, then you will have drone in 4cyl mode UNLESS you use a system that has either resonators or j-pipes.

I tried just the Borla Sport S mufflers and no resonators on my 2011 Challenger R/T and the drone was unbearable. Ended up switching to the Mopar Performance Exhaust (which in 2015 was the same as a Corsa Sport system.). But Corsa just isn't the "sound" that I was looking for. Nor was the Borla. If I had kept the car, I would have switched to a Flowmaster system.

Now you can see why I'm still running the stock exhaust on my current car. ;)

NC20RT likes this.
  6. Katshot

The annoying tone experienced while in 4 cyl mode is definitely more pronounced with my Flowmaster system but I’m not sure I’d call it “drone”. It’s definitely not like the drone I now get around 2000 rpm with the Flowmaster system. All in all, I wouldn’t change a thing with my exhaust though. Just LOVE my Flowmasters!

7. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Can you explain your comment a little better? Annoying tone in 4 Cyl mode vs. drone at 2,000 rpm? The drone you get at 2000 is with MSD off?
    I was just getting ready to order the Flowmaster American Thunder for my 5.7L but I'm hesitant because of the drone comments. I can live with the drone, or put it in Sport mode, but I'm concerned that drone might cause buyers to walk away if/when I would sell my Challenger. If I change over I don't want to store the original exhaust.

8. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

I have the Solo Performance exhaust ,they have the J pipes in place of the resonators. they are adjustable, just got to figure which way to adjust when doing so. but mine is not that bad. just loud enough to let me know that the MDS is working

9. Katshot

I NEVER drive with the MSD active. When I first got the car and drove it in "Auto" mode, I hated the way it felt when it dropped into 4cyl so I immediately setup a "Custom" mode that eliminated it. First thing I do everytime I start the car is put it in "Custom" mode.
    This was one of the things I hated about the stock transmission programming on my '16 Durango. It always locked up the converter too early which then caused an annoying lugging of the engine and real slow throttle response. These are all things I used to get rid of on my GM cars through doing my own PCM flashes. Not an option for me on these Mopars.
    Regarding the drone I'm experiencing since my exhaust upgrade, it's usually around 2000-2100rpm. Could be objectionable to some I suppose. It's worse during the first few minutes of engine operation after cold start. Afterwards it's barely noticable.