Advantages of the 5.7 R/T over the 6.4 Scat Pack

Discussion in 'Challenger R/T Engine & Performance Modifications' started by SRT-Tom, May 8, 2021.

1. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

Don't forget the Super Stock too......

2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Exactly! I very rarely use Track mode and seldom use Sport mode when my wife is in the car. But it's nice to know that those modes are available when I want them.

Ouch! But you do have an awesome car! Definitely a keeper.

I used to be 5'11"+ ... now I'm a RCH under 5'10" so I don't have an issue with bumping my noggin on my sunroof. I even use my sunroof quite a bit.

And you, sir, have the right attitude.

Do I enjoy the extra 100 HP that my SRT 392 has over my old R/T 345? YES! But I so rarely use all that my SRT 392 has to offer that I could easily go back to having "just" 375 HP. It's plenty for how I use my vehicles these days. But I'm not sure I want to give up the ride quality.

NC20RT and Darrell Feit like this.
  3. Ed Bandics

Ed Bandics Full Access Member

My 2015 R/T Plus has a sunroof, it came on the car when I bought it new. I never use it and would never have another one unless I drive one before buying it. Reason being the wind noise is terrible. It's ok if you are tooling around at 25mph in town, but once out on the hwy forget it. $1200 savings w/o it. I also have a 2016 Subaru with the same experience. I had an 2003 Acura RS that was actually quiet when traveling 70mph with sunroof open.

4. Graham

Graham Member

As a daily driver definitely the 345.
    For fun definitely 392 - an 11sec car under $50k? and naturally aspirated. Pretty sweet.
    - but it's no fun in wet or even damp conditions- she stays home then.

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

My 2009 SRT does not have a sunroof and I don't miss it.

My wife has a moon roof on her 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. No wind noise but she never opens it. My son had a big problem, however, with his 2008 Hyundai Tiburon. The drain tubes to the sunroof became clogged or disconnected and water was constantly soaking the inside of the car and getting into the rear passenger quarter panel.

6. William Howes

William Howes Member

Challengers should not have sunroofs

68MOPAR likes this.
  7. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Judging by the numbers seen on the streets the true home of the 5.7 has become the Dodge pickups. I'm guessing the ratio of trucks to cars has to be 35/1.

8. Darrell Feit

Darrell Feit Member

It's important to realize the percentage of driving time at the track versus time on the highway. It's not hard to value 1-2% of track time against 98-99% of road time. Personally the Scat Pack highway time is adequate for me..
    My 530 Lb turbo Hayabusa had 344 rwhp with 212Lb of torque. It wasn't a car but very few street cars could come close to it.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  9. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

The 345 HEMI is the perfect street ride. If you enjoy classic HEMI tone, the 345 has it in spades. If I leave the 345 Challenger R/T, I'm going with a 427 Corvette Z06 canyon carver.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    NC20RT likes this.