Air bag light

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by Chris, Feb 26, 2018.

1. synoptic12

synoptic12 Full Access Member

Surely there is some leeway in the amount of time, but there is quite a bit of difference in time (30 min. vs. 90 min.). I could possibly see a 30 min. overture but 'no' more than that.

* I am uncertain of the exact process i.e. > 'What needs replacement' - 'Propellant', bag, or inflator. I do not even know if the air bag is considered an inflator or if the terminology is interchangeable. Just too lazy to research online and simply do not care.

Again, the tech described in detail all the parts requiring removal. He made specific mention of the heater duct or core or 'something which is intertwined within the dash. Apparently, he viewed the process before advising me. I would only imagine there was some type of schematic or blueprint showing the exact process. I'm really at a loss to comprehend the time interval relating to your vehicle as opposed to mine. I must inquire of what exactly needs replacement (U03). Thank you very much for you assistance. Maybe, at this time I'll look into the service bulletin (recall) to see exactly what needs replacement. The closest direction given me was that the pellets could explode in shards injuring or causing death contingent upon a crash.

2. synoptic12

I just acquired the information here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCMN-18V021-3834.pdf

* Take a look and provide your opinion.

More Specifics:

US NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID: 18V021000
    Mfg's Report Date: January 9, 2018
    Component: AIR BAGS
    Potential Number Of Units Affected: 317,000

Summary:
    Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2009-2013 Jeep Wrangler, Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger and Dodge Charger vehicles, and 2009-2011 Dodge Dakota vehicles sold, or ever registered, in the states of Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands or "Zone A." Additionally, Chrysler is recalling certain 2009-2010 RAM 4500 Cab Chassis, RAM 5500 Cab Chassis, RAM 3500 Cab Chassis, Jeep Wrangler, Chrysler 300, Dodge Dakota, Dodge Challenger, and Dodge Charger vehicles ever registered in the states of Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia or "Zone B." Chrysler is also recalling certain 2009 RAM 3500, RAM 2500, RAM 4500 Cab Chassis, RAM 5500 Cab Chassis, Dodge Durango, Chrysler Aspen, RAM 3500 Cab Chassis, Jeep Wrangler, Chrysler 300, Dodge Dakota, Dodge Challenger, and Dodge Charger vehicles ever registered in the states of Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these passenger air bag inflator may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.

Consequence:
    An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

Remedy:
    Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag inflator, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 28, 2018. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is U03.

Notes:
    Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

3. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

inflator and air bag are separate parts, the inflater is what is replaced. looks like a 5 inch long cylinder with a wire harness attached to it.again it didn't take but about 30 minutes for my tech to replace the passenger side inflator.

the one for the steering wheel is different and he replace the bag/ inflator as it is one unit.

4. synoptic12

Thanks very much. I'll bring this facet to the dealers attention (Time Allotment).

5. synoptic12

I contacted Dodge this 5th Day of March regarding the aforesaid and spoke with Cheryl. She clearly read the proprietary information regarding the inflator recall (UO3). From 2009 to 2013 all Challengers are the same in terms of the inflator location. She made mention of the console, dash, header panel, kick plate defroster, etc. being removed. She could not determine the location of the inflator. Cheryl said the inflator was comprised of a 'yellow' tip while everything else was black. She further added that the dealership may have been looking at other vehicles to determine removal. Hard to believe.
    Please provide your opinion here and what dealer performed your recall. Thanks. By the way, an audio log can substantiate each and every word.

*PS- My trim level is "LC". I know not if this has any bearing of location or removal which I did not bring to her attention.

6. synoptic12

HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE?
    FCA will repair your vehicle [2] free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the PAB inflator. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit. Your time is important to us; please be aware that these steps may require more time. The estimated repair time is "two hours". We recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  7. IntimidatorRT

yes, the manufacturer dictates replacement time, but I can assure you it wont take that amount of time, like I said before I stood next to my car on the passenger side inflator replacement and it only took him 30 minutes, I watched him remove the glove box( minutes, then remove the inflator another 5 minutes and then replaced everything back to normal. 30 minutes tops. weather you want to believe that or not, it is up to you, I have had Plenty of warranty work down on other vehicles that said it would take a certain amount of time but I get a call halfway through what they were working on and said come get you car or truck it is finished, all depends on how fast the tech wants to work or how Long he really wants to drag it out, having experience working at a dealer show for a time and in the parts dept. I have seen this stuff go on all the time.truly some dealers make their money on warranty work cause the manufacturer says it will take this amount of time to replace when In actuality it doesn't.

8. synoptic12

According to FCA and all other dealerships, the proprietary information specifically states 2 to 2 1/2 hours to replace inflator. The information is coming directly from FCA, accompanied by all service managers. In this respect, it is somewhat difficult to comprehend how this recall (UO3) could take 30 minutes. Call FCA regarding the aforesaid recall and see what they state regarding time. Certainly, FCA is not going to lose money with an allotted time frame they have calculated.

I have not performed the recall as yet, but there are no dealerships, none stating; "30 minutes".

9. IntimidatorRT

I talked to my dealer service manager this morning and talked to him about this, YES FCS does allocate that amount of time, but it doesn't take that much time to replace, You don't see FCA doing the mechanic work at the service dept. plus the fact that I have worked in service dept before and have done warranty work in half the time it calls for. that is just the amount of time they allocate, may not be the amount of time it really takes.. you can believe what you want, but I am telling you if it takes that long for him to change it , he is taking too dam many coffee breaks and shooting the bull while doing it. I don't know if you have ever been a mechanic, but I was in that field for several years and know what I am talking about. you can call my dealership service dept up and talk to the service manager, Green Chrysler Dodge Chevy at 337-462-1835 ask for Ronnie. he will tell you.

synoptic12 likes this.
  10. synoptic12

* You are absolutely correct.