Banks Pedal Monster + Super Gauge Installed

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by 68MOPAR, May 1, 2021.

1. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

Bad news... It looks like the Pedal Monster and Super Gauge will need to come out. MOPAR corporate says that these devices could and likely will void your warranty. My car is in its first year of warranty, so I'll just need to wait until the warranty is up to use it. :(

2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

How would they know if you removed it before taking it in for warranty work?

3. 68MOPAR

I don't think they can tell. In my situation, I wouldn't want to hassle with removing and reinstalling the super gauge. I'm not comfortable with associating throttle control with bluetooth, so the super gauge is a must have for me.

Should Dodge decide to start voiding warranties over such devices, I don't think they would win a challenge. Electronically decreasing pedal travel is no different than pressing the pedal down with increased force. Is Dodge going to begin voiding warranties of owners who press the pedal down too far, too fast? If this is the company that Dodge has become, shame on them! If so, my next purchase won't be a Dodge.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I think the corporate statement of voiding warranty is related to liability if something went wrong. Especially since the module takes control of the throttle. If someone were to get seriously injured or killed, FCA would be included in liability. Mainly a legal issue in my opinion.

5. 68MOPAR

The module does not take control of the throttle... It decreases accelerator-to-throttle position delay time.

That's ridiculous. Using a Pedal Commander, Banks Pedal Monster (or any similar module) is no different than someone depressing the accelerator pedal with increased force. If liability were an issue, one would expect the "line lock" option be of greater concern.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  6. B5blueRT

I agree to disagree. The unit may not take control of the throttle, but my point was when an attorney get involved, all bets are off. They will look for anything to help their case. They are experts at stretching the truth.

7. 68MOPAR

Non sequitur. There is an argument to made on both sides. FCA would have to prove that pressing the pedal down quickly (which is what these devices simulate) was responsible for X failure. No manufacturer is history has ever placed a limit how much force can/should be used to perpetuate acceleration. The very notion is preposterous.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  8. B5blueRT

Your reply made me smile. We're making two different points and I agree with yours now that I understand it better. The point I was trying to make is that by voiding warranty FCA would distance themselves from any litigation that might be presented where one of their vehicles is involved in a crash.
    All an attorney for an injured victim needs to hear is "accelerator modification" to think he(or she) could drag as many deep pocket companies into a law suit. The attorney wouldn't want any details of what the mod did to confuse a jury. Let's face it, there maybe twelve lightbulbs out there, but not all of them may light!

68MOPAR likes this.
  9. 68MOPAR

Agreed. There is a law firm (now) that is going after FCA over engine failures that date back 5 or 6 years.