Catch Can

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Patches, Sep 26, 2019.

1. KEVIN DONOVAN

KEVIN DONOVAN Full Access Member

And this is my point. You can't take common automotive methodology from 50+ years ago and say it still applies today, but a lot of people seem to think so. Yes, in the 60's these impurities were simply dumped into the atmosphere. Obviously, that is NOT a preferable method these days. That's why automotive engineers redesigned our engines to deal with these impurities. And chemical engineers have redesigned our fuels and lubricants to help this issue (among others).

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Oil caked intake valves cause knocking and pre-ignition. The PCM retards the timing to protect the engine. This is why you lose some power.

3. KEVIN DONOVAN

KEVIN DONOVAN Full Access Member

And that would be quite possible on a GDI engine but...as we've pointed out, our engines are not GDI. So...the chances of having intake valves caked with carbon (not oil) are highly unlikely.

4. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

This is what I emptied out of mine this morning after only a little over 2000 KMS. No sign of water, just ugly oil. I’d say about 2.5 ounces worth.

A423DF90-997F-4EFD-8FEB-0BC8F6084043.jpeg

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

It's not just oil. Smell it. It's really a mixture of oil, gasoline, water and acids. That's why it's a bad idea to burn it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    B5blueRT likes this.
  6. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

It did have a strong combustion oder to it, although my sense of smell isn’t what it used to be....