Ceramic coating

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Waylav2018TA, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Waylav2018TA

Waylav2018TA Well-Known Member

It’s been about a month and a half since I got the ceramic coating. The coating still looks wonderful and retaining the mirror finish. The satin paint is retaining the dull sheen like it’s supposed too. The dirt Just rinses right off. Bugs come off very easily as well as a few bird drippings...I think it’s a target!
    In my opinion...for cars with satin paint, it was money well spent.

Hopslayer, Custis Morgan and 10DYRT like this.
  2. dfurgeson

dfurgeson New Member

I ceramic coated mine and my wifes myself. Loved how it turned out.

challengercoatedsmall.jpg

3. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

What product did you use? I just used the McKee's Hydro Blue Sio2 coating on the wheels of my Challenger and wife's SUV. I want to see if the coating helps keep the wheels clean and how much effort is needed to clean them.
    I used a similar spray/wipe on - walk away coating on the Challenger this spring. I don't recall what the product was but I have to admit it really does help keep the car clean. My Challenger is my daily driver and even after driving it in the rain it looks really good afterwards except for the lowest part of the front fenders and rear quarter panels. The rain water and wind from driving actually rinses the light dirt and dust off the car.

4. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I see Wizards is selling a ceramic coating that costs just over $140.00 for less than 2 ounces, but they claim it lasts 3 years.

5. Patches

Patches Member

Waylav

What brand did you have applied? Did they do a paint correction before applying it and how much did the whole thing cost?

Thanks

Dennis

Hopslayer likes this.
  6. B5blueRT

The stuff I used on my Challenger body panels was Ultima Paint Guard Plus. I got it as a gift from my son in law who has used it on his black truck with great results. He said he applies it about three times a year. The paint finish is deep and reflective with very minimal surface scratches.. I think it costs about $20.00.
    My detailer did a paint correction this spring topped with a good polish/sealant so I didn't do any additional work before wiping this product on. I'm not totally sold on high priced ceramic coatings yet, so this worked well for me. I plan on applying it probably one more time before winter hits.
    There's a ton of products out there, just depends on what you want. I won't put this stuff on my 69 Camaro, I like to clean, polish and wax that one the old fashion way as part of my car hobby relaxation. :)

7. Patches

Patches Member

Jerry

I have Optimum Ceramic Coating on my viper and I could not be happier. I give it a light wash and dry and it looks better than any detail job I have ever gotten. Its 5 years old now and still looks better than new. I don’t know what the cost was as the last owner had it put on. The finish is spectacular and I would like to get the challenger I’m ordering coated however I don’t know how that would work on the satin finish of the TA. I was hoping to get some feedback and find out if any of the other products on the market are just as good and a ball park price. Here is the product- optimumcarcare.com

Thanks

Dennis

8. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Optimum Gloss-Coat?
    You should do a Right up on the Do's & DON'T?

ooops, never minnd: " as the last owner had it put on "

Anyone else Do it them self?

9. B5blueRT

The McKee's Hydro Blue Sio2 is supposed to be safe for satin finishes and the matte black decals. This is a spray on (while car is still wet after cleaning), rinse and then wipe or blow dry. Again, it's only good for several months but it did wonders on my wheels. Between the Optima paint coating and the McKee's on my wheels, I hardly get water spots after it's been caught in the rain. I may stick with this routine instead of spending several hundred dollars on a professional ceramic coating.

10. Patches

Patches Member

Do’s and don’t

Do make your car look this good every time you wash it
    Obviously no one is looking for this kind of shine on the satin black that is why I looking for a coating on that part that works and a gloss coat for the rest of the paint. This thread is titled ceramic coating

Don’ts take a horses ass’s advice from the internet P1012568.JPG P1012570.JPG

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    70-426_10-SRT likes this.