Do You Change Your Own Oil?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by SRT-Tom, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran Full Access Member

I used to but i found a speed shop that charges me $17.50 to do it. I take the oil and filter. I use Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40. I usually get that from Steve White Motors. And the Mopar filter. I take my RAM to them also.

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  2. mikeT

mikeT Full Access Member

Not that it matters, just trying dispel the notion automobile manufacturers make all things that go on their cars
    The SRT filter 5038041AA MO041 is made in Poland.

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The SRT oil filter is made by Wix, to the SRT engineers' specs., for the Viper.

Wix has manufacturing plants all over the world. To my knowledge, its cartridge oil filters are made in either the U.S., Mexico, South Korea or Poland. All the spin on type oil filters are made in U.S.

Here is an article explaining the premium features of the SRT oil filter.

SRT Oil Filter | Dodge Challenger Forum

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  4. Srt Brian

Srt Brian Member

5. Srt Brian

Srt Brian Member

I belive when i bought my 2018 plum purple srt the oil being used was mobil1 ow40, the manufacturer changed to pennzoil ultra synthetic ow40 which is almost impossible to buy in Canada

6. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Welcome to the neighborhood! That Plum Crazy color is one of my favorites. Something about it just fits the Challenger.

Dodge switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in 2014.

Fact is ... Mobil 1 doesn't recommend any of their oil products for the Challenger SRT vehicles - - whether it's the 6.1, 6.2, or 6.4 liter HEMI.

I don't have anything against Mobil 1. I've used it since the early '90s in various vehicles -- and still use it in my "daily" 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo. But since Mobil 1 doesn't recommend their own products and won't warranty their product against oil-related failures in the 6.1, 6.2, or 6.4 liter HEMI engines, I'm not using it in my HEMI.

Once you're out of the drivetrain warranty period (5yr/60K miles,) feel free to use whatever you want. Shoot ... you can use Extra Virgin Olive Oil if you want to! But until then, give strong consideration to using what the factory uses. My car hit its 5-year in-service "birthday" in December 2020. However, I've elected to stick with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my 2015 SRT 392.

If you're looking for an alternative to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum ... Amsoil recommends their Signature Series 0W-40 and Schaeffer recommends their Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic 0W-40 for the 6.4 liter HEMI engine. I'm pretty sure both are available in - or can be shipped to - Canada. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

NC20RT likes this.
  7. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Oh boy, you did it now. The ol' Mobil 1 conversation. SRT-Tom's left eye is starting to twitch again after he read your comment. :facepalm: :D

8. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

The 6.1 oil cap even has mobil1 printed on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Actually, both of my eyes started to twitch, lol.

Here is what I said in another thread:

Some owners of new Challengers, out of warranty, are still reluctant to use Mobil 1 synthetic oil because it does not meet FCA specs. They stick with Pennzoil even though it may be harder to find or is more expensive.

Mobil 1 synthetic is an excellent full synthetic oil that was the factory fill (0-40W) for the 6.1 SRTs. I have been using it in my 2009 Challenger SRT and with no issues (and no ticking).

FCA made a business decision to go with Pennzoil. To support this relationship, FCA started listing a spec, for its 6.4 engines that only Pennzoil met. Mobil 1 and many others probably made a financial decision that there wouldn’t be enough of a return, based on the high cost to get certified.

Here is what Mobil 1 stated:

“Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.”

Exxon/Mobil and FCA are clearly sore at each other. Mobil 1 0-40W has everything in it but the kitchen sink and meets rigid European standards for high performance cars, like Porsche. Also, 5-30W has ACEA specifications that few "regular" synthetics meet.

Unless your car is still under warranty, use it with confidence.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  10. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Thanks for the laugh. :)

It's almost turned into a bad habit. And ... it makes me sound like a "get off my lawn" guy.

In fact ... I'm going to try to make this the last time I state my case. Life's too short. Plus, I really hate being this predictable. ;)

I want you to know that I have a TON of respect for your automotive knowledge. You bring great posts to this (and other) message boards that enrich my and other's knowledge. Thank you!

Plus ... I really like your car. You've obviously taken great care of it. When I was searching for my current Challenger I was only looking at cars that were B5 Blue or Go ManGo and would have been happy with either. I just happened to stumble across a smokin' deal on a very low mileage B5 Blue one first.

Here comes the "but" .....

A quick correction to your post. The MS-6395 spec is for the 5.7L / 345ci HEMI engines. The spec for the 6.4L / 392ci HEMI engines is MS-12633. And I think the original spec for the 6.1L / 372ci HEMI engine was MS-10725. (Or was it MS-10850? I never owned a 6.1L/372ci HEMI so I could have bad info.)

Mobil 1 actually does recommend some of the products for the 5.7 HEMI engines that requires oil that meets the MS-6395 spec. Anyone that has a 5.7 HEMI - whether they're under warranty or not - can use Mobil 1 5W-20 with confidence that Mobil 1 will stand behind their product should there be an oil-related problem with the engine. It's not licensed by Dodge, but since Mobil 1 is confident that their product meets or exceeds MS-6395; they'll stand behind it.

But as I said in the earlier post ... they don't recommend any of their products for use in the 6.1, 6.2, or 6.4 liter HEMI engines. So I don't understand why you want to use an oil that the oil manufacturer doesn't think you should use in your awesome Challenger SRT8.

And whether or not Mobil 1 recommends their products for use in the 6.4L/392ci HEMI in the after-market has nothing to do with their current relationship with Dodge. If they're not confident enough to recommend their products, then 6.1/6.2/6.4 HEMI owners should not feel confident using Mobil 1 either.