Exhaust mods

Discussion in 'Challenger SRT8 Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Katshot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Yes, its an automatic and that’s the one thing holding me back. My 2010RT was an M6 so I never experienced the drone issue. I would just down shift a gear if it started to drone. I guess I could do the same with the paddles, I usually drive in manual mode in the city to keep the gearing lower than in automatic. I find it climbs to a higher gear then needed at lower speed.

Just found this on You Tube, kinda helps make my decision. I link the deep tone of the stock exhaust...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

I think I'm going with Flowmaster Super 40's.

3. 2017 Redline HC

Those have a nice exhaust note, not raspy at all.

4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I'm not sure yet for myself.
    For CAT Back: Solo with tune-able resonators or Flowmaster American Thunder (Super 40's)
    For Axle back: Magnaflow or Blastin' Bob's resonators (not SS, they're aluminized)

5. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

The speedshop (Davenport Motorsports) that performed the mods on mine for the original owner which included complete exhaust claimed that the Corsa GTX cat-back was the only system that didn't drone at cruising speeds with long tubes and high flow cats. No drone, awesome sounding, particularly upon moderate and beyond acceleration, quiet otherwise. A bit louder than the Flowmasters upon acceleration. The term 'raspy' is subjective, not clearly defined.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  6. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not getting into headers and hi-flow cats so I'm leaning toward replacing the resonators first. If I don't like that, then do the cat-back with Flowmaster's American Thunder (no resonators). If that gives me too much drone, I can add the resonators back on.
    Not in a hurry, will probably wait until next year.

Cloverdale likes this.
  7. Katshot

I'm going to replace the mufflers with Super 40's and then test with and without the resonators.

8. Katshot

Gonna take more time than I thought. Flowmaster tech line was useless in helping me determine which part number to use so now I need to get to the exhaust shop so we can measure and decide which configuration to use. They were just trying to talk me into their bolt-on system. My guess is the 3" offset in/ 3" offset out but I want to be sure before I order the mufflers.

9. Katshot

Ok, got the Flowmaster Super 40's installed today! We had to modify the passenger side muffler slightly to make more clearance for the driveshaft. No, it doesn't hit it just hanging there but my guess is that under torque, the driveshaft may move around enough to cause contact. I just felt better giving it more. Went with the 3" offset in and out. Reason being that the factory pipe is 2-3/4". We fabricated a sleeve and inserted it into the muffler inlet and outlet, then welded all three layers of pipe together. Worked like a charm! I opted to leave the factory resonators on for now just to see how I liked it. I like doing mods one step at a time. So...how's it sound? Well...I don't think it's any louder but the tone is definitely lower and more mellow, specifically at lower RPMs. Revving it, it kind of sounds the same to me. I'm going to give it some time and see whether I want to continue on and remove the resonators.

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  10. 2017 Redline HC

I would think with the resonators gone you’d experience more of a raspy sound you’ve mentioned your not keen on. My R/T did get more raspy, which some may not like, but we loved it. Even my wife liked the new roar of it. As mentioned before I felt the car wasn’t flowing well with the CAI and long tube headers on it. Once the resonators were gone it seemed to wake up and respond better.