Exhaust mods

Discussion in 'Challenger SRT8 Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Katshot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

I kind of guessed I would want to pull the resonators but just wanted to be sure. Main reason being that the Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back system doesn’t include resonators. Beyond that, I also have an idea for the tailpipes. I want to fabricate custom tailpipes that will be 3-4" and still retain the factory outlets. I just don't want the normal quad tips that everybody uses.

2. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

I used Blast’in Bob’s resonator delete kit on my R/T. It was a great fit and easy install. They have a 3” kit that would work for you and reasonably priced. I think you should try these and let me know how it goes....I may still look at doing that as well. Still on the fence though....

https://www.blastinbob.com/15_20_Challenger_Charger_Scat_pack_Hellcat_SRT_p/3shs.htm

They have a glass pack kit as well

https://www.blastinbob.com/2015_20_Challenger_Charger_Scat_pack_Hellcat_SRT_p/gp3shs.htm

3. Katshot

The problem I have is that I simply don't like the basic exhaust note of these cars. So simply removing the mufflers and resonators only give me an exhaust tone that I hate in spades! Trying to change the exhaust tone while also making it louder is tough. I'm hoping that eliminating the resonators will give me the volume I want and the large diameter custom tailpipes will give me the deep tone I want.

4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

get rid of the resonators, they weigh a ton!!

5. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

My money is on you buying aftermarket resonators. The Hemi cars (5.7 and up) I've heard that's running no resonators still have some level of raspy tone under hard acceleration and popping when decelerating (instead of a burbling tone like original muscle cars).
    Shopping around for my 5.7, I found them at Blastin' Bob's and Magnaflow. I'm leaning toward doing just the resonator replacements first and if I'm not satisfied install the Flowmaster mufflers.

6. Katshot

Well, I'll let you know on Friday. Going back to the muffler shop and doing the resonator delete. My plan is to replace them with 3-1/2" pipe or maybe 4" pipe welded to the stock tips.
    This is the second time I've done exhaust mods to a Dodge hemi and I gotta say it ain't the easiest beast to get proper tone and sound level out of. My Mustangs and Chevy small blocks were always a breeze by comparison.

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  7. 2017 Redline HC

I’ll be interested in hearing what the end result is. Hope it works out the way you want it to

8. Katshot

To be honest, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for getting what I really want. I think at this point I'm just going to have to deal with never being able to hit the target I want with this car. My Cobra had such a beautiful exhaust note that I honestly never listened to the stereo. With this Hemi, I think I'll be glad I have a great stereo. Sigh...

9. 2017 Redline HC

I think you need a BMW :D

10. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

^^^^^ LoL