Gas... 87, 89...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by geeferni, Sep 21, 2017.

1. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

well you see that is the difference, you live in PA. I live in Louisiana, big difference in a rural state and I know my area, slim pickens for non ethanol gas, now 50 -60 miles away? no problem, but that is too far just to fill up a tank.

2. Roberto Rodriguez

Roberto Rodriguez New Member

I have 2014 R/T. Owners manual says 91 or higher. With in the first 1000 miles the lifters went bad, and they said it was the type of gas we were using (93 octane). When I told them that we use 93 octane, they were like uh yeah you have to use top tier gas (Shell, Exxon, etc.). Which we were using, now from time to time my CEL comes on and if I put in a can of fuel treatment the light turns off. When the CEL light comes on , the mechanic said it was cylinder two mis-firing. Either Injector, COP, or the actually plug.

3. kiss1962

kiss1962 Member

4. propilot74

propilot74 Member

My 2017 SXT Plus needs 87 octane per the owners manual. It goes on to state performance may be degraded with higher octanes.
    I believe the R/T is designed for 89 octane, with 87 permitted IF you have an auto trans; and 91 is required if you have a manual trans (go figure). Anything with the 6.4L requires 91.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

PISSED OFF BEE likes this.
  5. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

also depends on brand of gas, as I know Conoco is ethanol free. but those stations are few and far between.

6. kiss1962

kiss1962 Member

Yep were pretty Lucky to have Costco 91 octane and ethanol fre at a good price to boot!!

7. big challenge

big challenge Member

My 5.7 says 87or89 but I have only ran 87 one time when gas was hard to get here in Miami after the hurricane (you got what they had, they would run-out a couple hours after shipment). I mostly wanted to post because of how impressed I am with the mileage on my first road trip last week, 22mpg at 85mph with the cylinder cut back in operation. I never liked that feature but I'm beginning to understand it's purpose! My 4.8 liter 650i would only do about 17-18 mpg.

8. chithead

chithead Full Access Member

87 is all I've ever used.

9. PISSED OFF BEE

PISSED OFF BEE Member

Me loves all of the placebo effects I can read about in one evening

exhaust easily picks up what 20hp lets say
    c.a.i meh 10hp maximum
    lowered 2 1/2 hp
    fogs in the on position 4hp
    and the big one yes why yes indeed a catch can will push. upwards of 25hp

In with the listed mods equals what 61 1/2 hp so its time to fly the friendly skies errrrr hang on that is for United Airlines.