Gas pump keeps stopping? (when fuel tank not full)

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by ONE L COOL J, Dec 19, 2019.

1. ONE L COOL J

ONE L COOL J Well-Known Member

UPDATE:

TUE 12/31:
    Pumped gas at a 3rd Chevron. Turned nozzle upside down (hose up). Put nozzle all the way in. Pumped manually at MED speed. Pumped 14 gallons without stopping (full tank).

TUE 1/7:
    Pumped gas at 3rd Chevron again. This time tried putting nozzle in right side up. 3/4 of the way in filler tube. Pumped manually at MED speed. Filled tank without stopping (14gal).

Next time I’ll try this 3rd Chevron again and try pumping manually at full speed to see if it will stop on me.

Also going to take a pic of pump nozzle. It looks a little different from the pumps I’ve been using (no vapor seal?)

2. ONE L COOL J

ONE L COOL J Well-Known Member

UPDATE:

Pumped gas at 3rd Chevron again (WED 1/15). Put nozzle in all the way, right-side up. Pumped manually full speed. Filled to full with no stoppage (14gal). No problems at all at this station. Here is what the pump looks like, maybe there’s no vapor shut off?

8148804B-00FD-4F4F-A258-A1F0D962BC46.jpeg 9E6DB49A-862A-49E2-828E-2EE4744FEC5C.jpeg 4A4087E3-D30F-492E-B460-2636D61ECC8A.jpeg 39A3004D-5002-4157-8A5A-E18AA0EC5E96.jpeg

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

A dealer will charge between $55 to $100 for a computerized diagnosis and then around $100/hr. labor.

4. KEVIN DONOVAN

KEVIN DONOVAN Full Access Member

That's a full vapor recovery nozzle. The vapor recovery system isn't what shuts off the fuel though. There's a small orifice tube at the end of the nozzle. That's what shuts fuel flow. Bottom line, when fuel is exiting the nozzle faster than it can get into the tank, it backs up in the filler neck, blocking off the orifice tube and shutting off the pump handle. There can be multiple variables affecting this:
    1. Pump flow rate
    Some pumps are faster than others. Fresh filters vs. partially clogged ones?
    2. Handle flow rate
    Different handles have different flow rates.
    3. Angle of inserted nozzle
    Speaks for itself.
    4. Ability of filler neck and tank to accept fuel (flow rate)
    Damaged or improperly installed filler neck and/tank. Problem with the vent system.

5. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

never seen a nozzle like that one, ours are pretty simple here where I live

6. synoptic12

synoptic12 Full Access Member

Just my two cents: This possibly could be related to the UB4 recall. I had a similar issue whereas the fuel overflowed. The Reason: The pump's shut-off was not working. Tried a new gas station and there were no issues, none.