Low Mileage Oil Changes

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by SRT-Tom, Dec 5, 2023.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

If your car is a garage queen and accumulates very low mileage (e.g., less than 2,500 miles a year) is it necessary to change your full synthetic oil annually?

I have read that regular changes are necessary regardless of the mileage because moisture and contaminants can appear. I, however, have questioned the need to throw out good oil merely because of age.

In the following video, two element tests were performed of the oil of a BMW at 5.5 and 25.5 months. The results were almost identical (i.e., the oil was still performing up to specs at the longer change interval).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    Green with Envy likes this.
  2. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Might suffice for an over priced 193 hp naturally aspirated grocery getter :p

3. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Full Access Member

I’m not surprised. I call it “roofer syndrome”. :D If you call a roofer to look at your house he will say, “You need a new roof”. If you go to a surgeon he’ll say, “You need surgery”. Walk in a barbershop, “You need a haircut!”. So, naturally, if you ask a company that sells motor oil…

“You need to change your oil!”

4. Green with Envy

Green with Envy Full Access Member

I'm just old school and probably won't change. On my daily drivers I change oil every 4000 miles regardless of months, on my collector cars once every 12 months unless I have driven one more than a couple of thousand miles which is not that often. It's just a mind thing I guess.

stingray likes this.
  5. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

:facepalm::snoopfacepalm:

6. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier New Member

Similar question 2023 392 Widebody Nat Asp 14 months sold and 220 miles. Any one type of oil better or worse for this kind of use ?
    Thanks

7. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

My 2009 SRT is just a weekend car, so I put very little mileage on it. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 (factory recommended for my 6.1) and change it every 2 years. On my other cars, that accumulate normal mileage, I change the oil every 4,000 miles.

kurtzentmaier likes this.
  8. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier New Member

Great, thanks.