New member from Iowa

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by On The Hunt, Feb 4, 2021.

1. On The Hunt

On The Hunt Member

Thanks for the input Coverdale. My truck is currently averaging 13-14 mpg with a greater than 26g tank (don’t remember capacity for sure but it’s big) so is a wallet buster to fill.
    Interestingly I talked with a local car salesman yesterday that pointed out that for “similar” money as a new well-equipped Challenger, I could get a new Corvette 1LT w/o gas guzzler tax, better mpg, and possibly a bit better performance. I think the vette is a touch less “practical” though for a semi-daily driver.

2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

:Big Laugh:

3. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Welcome to the neighborhood. Good luck with your search. I confess that I enjoy searching and buying cars almost as much as I enjoy driving them.

Challengers come in so many flavors that it can almost become overwhelming. You'll quickly learn that as a well-informed shopper you'll know way more about Challengers than a large percentage of dealership salespeople. Not absolutely true. But pretty close.

As others have said; Apple CarPlay, heated seats, heated steering wheel, and remote start are all available in Challengers. Note that remote start is only available if your car has an automatic transmission.

I like performance, but I also like a comfortable ride. I think the SRT Hellcats all have the Adaptive Suspension feature. If you decide to look at R/T Scat Packs (392ci/6.4L) then you'll need to look for the Adaptive Suspension option. That option is not available on the R/T (345ci/5.7L) models.

Power wise ... go drive them all. I've owned a R/T and currently have a SRT 392. The R/T is no slouch at just under 400HP and gets decent mileage while running on 89 octane. But I do enjoy the extra 100HP from the 392 ... even if it does mean using Premium (93 octane in FL) and slightly lower gas mileage. I've driven a friend's Hellcat and the supercharger whine is intoxicating. But my days of racing stoplight to stoplight are well behind me so I've been able to live without it.

And yes, you can get into a base (yet well-appointed) Corvette for about the same price as a loaded Hellcat. But at 60+ my back prefers the easier ingress and egress of the Challenger.

Again ... enjoy your search!

NC20RT likes this.
  4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Welcome to the Forum.

You may want to watch this informative video about the history of the Challenger, especially the part about the latest models (starting at the 19:41 minute mark).

5. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I agree with the comments given by NC20RT. I have a '15 RT Plus and it gives me the power and performance I like for street use. Definitely get what YOU want. If you feel the need for high horsepower get the Scat or HC. I didn't want to spend the extra money for something I really wouldn't use since I don't do autocross or drag race. I can't give you a reason why I would need 700+ HP on city/suburban streets.

- The heated steering wheel is available - I love mine. Never required it but now that I have it I use it all the time. Remote start and heated seats too.
    - Power wise, the R/T Plus will snap the 20" tires free from a standing start all day long. I have the A8 trans and it will break the tires free even when I punch the accelerator while cruising at 30-35mph.
    - So far AWD is only available in the Challenger GT with V6. I was hoping for a 5.7 version but can't say we'll ever see it on a Challenger. Why I don't know. I drive my R/T all year, and throw on winter wheels/tires for the snow months, so far never had a problem.
    It's all price performance, the more performance you want, the higher the price. I can burn up a set of tires pretty quick with the 5.7. Make sure you drive all the models. Make sure when driving the R/T, it's the "Plus" model. That give you the Dodge performance pages, upgraded brakes (not brembo though) and the Super Sport mode. :)

NC20RT likes this.
  6. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

7. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

8. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

9. On The Hunt

On The Hunt Member

WOW! Thanks y'all. I SOOO much appreciate the input. I haven't been able to catch up for a couple days.
    Jerry, I especially liked your comments about your R/T - I assume that was the 5.7 Hemi? If I was driving a car that could break the tires loose while cruising at 30-35 mph, I can't imagine needing anything else. That is with regard to power anyway - I like the toys inside the car too (Remote Start, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel, and Apple CarPlay to name a few).
    I also enjoyed your comment about getting in and out of a Corvette. While I'm only going to be 50 in July (according to the calendar anyway), I feel closer to 70-80 :) Comfort and ease of use is still quite important.
    I just found out an acquaintance of mine owns a Hellcat and an R/T. He offered to let me take a look once the snow goes away. Heard from a mutual friend that the guy with the Hellcat said something about that feeling you get after starting the car that "this car wants to kill you". Obviously he meant that in jest, but it would be quite a rush to feel that kind of power at your seat and at the pedal.
    I normally love winter, but I'm ready for the snow to be gone so I can start my Challenger play dates.

B5blueRT, Wizard of Iz and Cloverdale like this.