Discussion in 'Challenger DIY/Tech Info' started by SRT-Tom, Nov 11, 2020.

Nitrogen in Tires- Pros & Cons

By SRT-Tom · Nov 11, 2020 ·
Car Parts
  1. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Remember that even the best nitrogen fills are still only 90-95% so at best it's only about 20% more pure than plain old air. Plus, you're never sure just how great the fill is due to having to rely on the shop properly purging the air first.

2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Does anyone know if Dodge ever upgraded the quality of their aluminum valve stems? I know people were having issues a few years ago with valve stems snapping off if the metal caps they used were put on too tight or had bonded with the valve stem.

When I bought my 2015 SRT 392 in December of 2017 one of the "perks" that the selling dealership provided was doing a nitro fill and providing green, metal valve stem caps. Well ... it seems that the metal caps are prone to corroding onto the cheap aluminum valve stems. Fast forward to October 2018 when a cool front moved through while we were visiting Savannah, GA and I woke up to a low tire pressure light. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't get the cap off so I could add air. I ended up going to a tire shop where they were equally dismayed that the cap had bonded to the stem. I'm guessing that the lousy hard water in Florida was a factor. Fortunately, we were able to use an open-end wrench and break the caps loose without snapping the stems. And, when I got home I put the original plastic caps back on and I remove them when I wash the car.

3. Katshot

Interesting point. Unfortunately, the shop should know that dissimilar metals will corrode and eventually lock together, especially in more corrosive environments like Florida.

4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You should never put metal valve caps on your TPMS valve stems. Gray plastic or rubber caps may be dull and boring, but boring can be good. Having your expensive monitors turned to junk by corrosion is a problem that you don't need.

Corrosion typically occurs when the type metal of a valve stem cap is different from the stem. If you insist on using decorative metal caps make sure that they are brass on brass (it can be plated chrome) or steel on steel. It wouldn't hurt to clean & lube them regularly). Aluminum caps should be avoided unless in an arid area.

6. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

The factory caps on mine are aluminum I'm pretty sure.....

7. Katshot

Factory caps on mine are plastic.

8. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Remember ... I didn't put the metal caps on the car. The dealer where I bought the car had put them on as one of their perks of buying a CPO Dodge from them. It simply hadn't occurred to me that they would have put metal caps on aluminum valve stems. I had presumed they were a cheap, chrome-plated plastic. Nope.

I now have plastic "SRT" logo caps from Mopar on the car. Just to be safe I remove them when I wash the car ... which gives me a chance to clean them with an old toothbrush. Then I spray a little WD-40 in the caps before I put them back on. Everything has been fine since.

9. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

"Holy shit, where's my tube of anti-seize!"
    I have four cars to check, eight sets of wheels/tires, especially the winter sets because of salt usage here.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  10. Katshot

Forgot to ask you how you liked Savannah? We just got back from a couple days up there. Nice place to visit!