Oil Change

Discussion in 'Challenger DIY/Tech Info' started by SRT-Tom, Oct 5, 2018.

Car Parts
  1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

No, it's foot pounds.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Wizard of Iz likes this.
  2. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

i am thinking about getting a metal plate for my car, 3G Customz has one and you can get the oil filter and drain plug cutout, that way you don't have to take it off every time to change oil.

3. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

Speaking of oil, what is the consensus regarding which one is best with the Challengers, or does it not matter? A guy in the shop where I work said a 5w-20 is the recommended oil for my car. That’s fine, but there’s so many brands. Is Mobil 1 good enough, or does it pay to spend the extra 2 bucks per quart for Amsoil or Royal Purple?

4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You would be fine if you stick with the oil recommended by Dodge for your engine. I have used Mobil 1 0W-40 full synthetic in my 6.1 since day one and have no complaints.

In the April 2009 SRT Engineers' Chat Session, the engineers stated the following:

"Mobil-1 products are hard to beat. There's a reason it's spec'd for SRT's and other high perf cars. We know the 0W40 Mobil-1 works. Best bet is stick with the Mobil-1 brand. If you can't find 0W40, try 5W40. If you're lucky enough to live where it never gets cold, you could try 15W50 (but you may notice worse fuel economy). We're told (but haven't confirmed) that Shell Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 is good stuff, too."

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Hopslayer likes this.
  5. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Oil questions are about like asking a group of guys what's the best way to build a campfire. :)

I've used Mobil1 Full Synthetic for years with no issues. However, I've switched to Pennzoil in my '15 Challenger SRT and my wife's '17 Durango R/T just to stay completely warranty compliant.

I wouldn't spend the extra for either Amsoil or Royal Purple. Personal opinion.

6. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

the base oil for the SRT back in 2008 was Mobil1 and it stayed that way till about 2013? then Chrysler went to using Pennzoil in all their engines. now I use Mobil1 in my 2009 RT , no issues, but in my 207 Ram, 2016 Grand Cherokee and 2016 Jeep patriot, they all use Pennzoil synthetic.