push button start

Discussion in 'Challenger Interior Modifications' started by tapoutchris, Aug 3, 2013.

1. hada71rt

hada71rt Active Member

Use the push button. If you do, the only reason you need to insert the fob is if your battery in the KEY fob dies and you get a NO KEY FOB detected message.
    Then just pop out the button and start the car until you can replace the battery in the key fob. (Very easy job).
    Even if the key fob battery is dead you can use the fob to start the car.
    This way if the CAR battery dies the key fob is not in the ignition.
    Don't know what else it takes to convince you if you are worried about the CAR battery dying.
    (OO [::::::::::::::::SRT:::] OO)

2. jeremykshort

jeremykshort Member

So how does this work? The fob can start it with no battery in it. What exactly does someone have to stick in there to start the thing? I always thought there was some signal from the fob the car needed to start, but if putting a very generic piece of plastic in it can start it, I'm kinda weirded out. I never knew the button came out and the fob could go on (explains the weird fob shape to me), nobody showed me this.

I mean, I like that there's a way to start it with a dead fob, but I don't understand how this works, unless it really is a simple fob end starting the thing.

---

Edit-- I bought mine barely used, someone had it for three months and then traded it in. So the start button was already pushed in, they never talked about pulling it out.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

When you manually use the key fob, an RFID chip in the FOB verifies that it is the correct key fob for the car. The key fob doesn't need its own power source for identification.

4. jeremykshort

jeremykshort Member

Ok, I got ya. That makes me a bit more comfortable.

5. RTWaldo

RTWaldo New Member

You don't need the button if you have keyless go. Just push the center in, to bottom out and hold till motor starts and same to stop. M6 will need clutch pressed. Works on my 12 RT. The button is nice touch $16-20 ebay.