Screen mesh or product that will protect the radiator/condensor behind grille

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by stingray, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Wm TPA SXT

Wm TPA SXT Full Access Member

When I got the Car the Grille was busted around the Right Headlight, So I got a used one off EBAY,
    When It got here I added the Mesh to the Replacement from the Back Side I did not do photos of each step
    How ever this is the Mesh on the Grille The way it sits in the back is recessed.

I scuffed around the Molded Area on the Back around the Grille Surround Chrome again BACK SIDE of the Grille.
    I shaped the Mesh did a trim of the Mesh then gently bent the Mesh around the Opening gently pushing it conformed to the shape.
    I then used (Mini Wire Ties) and attached the mesh using them there is indentations around the opening the ties sat recessed into so you cant
    see them like an eye sore.
    upload_2021-9-20_11-44-53.png
    If you look around the Chrome surround you see the indentation groves!!!

Once I did this on each end and randomly on top and bottom on the Back side
    I applied Clear JB WELD EPOXY!!! you don't see this from the front the JB WELD Was to make sure that the Grille had a 2nd
    way of securing it to the Grille.

As you see the backside below this is what i scuffed around and formed the mesh to. So once I put the mesh in place and wiretied it
    that area had Clear Epoxy added. It's Plastic so this is why I came up with the idea this is hidden from the front of the Vehicle and you do not
    see this area .........

upload_2021-9-20_12-0-37.png

There is no trick and I knew it was going to work on the Back of this Assembly I had the Ties pulled tightly with a Tie Clipper Tool that trimmed the excess.

The Ties being BLACK and Mini is what keeps this clean and virtually unseen.

I did not do the Replacement of the Assembly myself I cant since my Stroke in 2017 I had a shop pull the Fascia Assembly off and Replaced the Grille for me
    so I did not stand in the shop while they did it and take images.

You wont see the Adhesive on the back as the Over hang on the Grille Assembly its self covers the Opening by 3 inches

[​IMG]

stingray likes this.
  2. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

I don't know the size of that mesh but I know for sure on another car I had I replaced the condenser and radiator as the fins all got bent up. After putting on one of those front end covers didn't have that problem anymore. Of course that wasn't a Dodge Challenger which they don't make front end covers with mesh protection in the intake area. So this will work unless some other new product comes out for the Challenger to address this.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  3. Wm TPA SXT

Wm TPA SXT Full Access Member

4. stingray

5. Octane

Octane Full Access Member

My volvo semi truck has regular window screen material surrounded by a thin metal frame screwed and mounted behind the grill. Oem part.

stingray likes this.
  6. stingray