Sinclair road maps from the 1930's

Discussion in 'Hobby Forum' started by NC20RT, Apr 23, 2022.

1. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Thanks! Yes, I see those dino soaps still offered on ebay. 18 listings at present with some in their original boxes. Not cheap either plus shipping/tax. Everything petroliana related is so pricey.

SFCR likes this.
  2. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

NC20RT - thanks for the photos of the maps. I have two daughters that live in Raleigh so you nailed it with your first pic. Looking at Ohio was pretty cool too, appreciate you taking the time to post.

(Just so you know, I zoomed in on the map for Raleigh with my iPhone and street names and POI's don't pop up! LOL :D)

NC20RT likes this.
  3. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

No problem. It's fun to share. Yeah, no modern stuff with these old ones. :signs8:

I just realized if you click on the photos it blows them up somewhat. That helps. Cool!

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  4. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Full Access Member

Anyone remember these?

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I remember road maps. I used to plan my work and leisure trips using them. My wife, however, was very confused by them. GPS really changed the game.

One old resource I used to use for vacations was the AAA Trip Tix. It was a free spiral bound map pad, with flip pages, to provide detailed driving instructions. To best use it, however, you needed a "co-pilot."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  6. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Full Access Member

Interesting choice of maps. First town on top - “Ashland”. I saw Rick Derringer play in a bar in Ashland many years ago. Small world, eh?

7. Niles

Niles Full Access Member

Back around 2013, I owned a Porsche 928 in Australia and was doing a driving vacation there. My GPS was a TomTom and plugged into the cigarette lighter port. At some point the cigarette lighter lost power and my GPS battery ran low and it turned off. I pulled over and thought what am I going to do? I was so dependent on that thing. I had a smart phone with me, but I don't remember even thinking about using Google Maps at the time. I fiddled with the fuses and wires and it started working again. Thank God - that was such a relief.