Summer Tires in Winter

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Dec 12, 2018.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Here is what Tire Rack has to say about this topic:

"Whether you blame it on climate change, a polar vortex or what seems to be the beginning of the next ice age, there's no doubt recent weather patterns have exposed many drivers to freezing temperatures and wintry driving conditions. In anticipation of the next time Mother Nature extends her cold reach, drivers with vehicles equipped with summer performance tires need to know those tires are not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures on clear roads, nor in slush, snow and ice.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty."

Also, GM has issued the following warning:

"GM bulletin #13-03-10-001A: "Information on Tire Cold Weather Cracking" – (Jan 30, 2014) advises “avoid driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high-performance summer-only tires below 20º F as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.” The car models affected include the 2012-2014 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport, 2012-2014 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and Z/28, 2014-2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, and the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and Stingray Z51, and SS sedan." [​IMG]
    Cuda340 is online now Report Post IP
    Edit Quote Multi-Quote Quick Reply
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuda340 For This Useful Post:
    GreeninTN (02-12-2019), JavierA (01-29-2019)

B5blueRT likes this.
  2. Vonpalyka

Vonpalyka Member

B5blueRT, are you running winter only on those wheels? Still trying to figure out if I want to try all seasons or just go strictly winter. This winter is over but want to plan better for next. Also, please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but if you go with the winter tires do you switch out all 4 or just the back tires? How big of a pain in the butt is switching them out and storing them? thanks!

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Tire manufacturers recommend winter tires on all four wheels.

Vonpalyka likes this.
  4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Yes, I’m running Cooper WINTER tires on all four corners. Car did fine this winter in the heaviest snows of 6-8”. Having winter tires gave me the assurance of driving on snow and icy covered roads. I’ve had some front wheels SUV’s with all season tires and some of those brands really sucked in the snows of just 3”. My R/T’s factory 20” wheels came with Goodyear RS-A all season tires but I wanted better traction and braking especially since it’s RWD. Going with a separate set of winter tires AND wheels is a big expense up front but having to swap tires on and off rims plus balancing twice a year is a real pain and the expense adds up. Try to find some used wheels to keep costs down. Also remember that your all season or summer tires will last longer since your not running them 4-5 months per year. I stack my tires on a wood base in a shed. I got a zippered tire cover for $20 on Amazon so they stay clean and dry until I need them next season.

5. Vonpalyka

Vonpalyka Member

thanks so much for the info! I think I'll do that this year. First two years I had no issues driving in the snow but the last 2 years we've gotten dumped on and the last time i got stuck it took me almost an hour to get out and I messed up my alignment rocking her out. Not interested in doing that again. I was debating between just buying a junker to use for the winter but not really interested in dealing with 2 cars (and a motorcycle).

One last question, do you just change the tires/wheels yourself then take them in to get balanced?

Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

6. B5blueRT

I wish I could do it myself but due to some health issues I don't anymore. I take it to a friend's shop, he's done some of the heavier mechanical work on my 69 Camaro over the past 15 years, so I trust him. I get the oil changed at the same time and again in the fall. Some facilities that include tire rotations in the price of the oil change will do the tire/wheel change, same labor as a rotation.

7. ZEN357

ZEN357 Full Access Member

That's what I need to do in my Daily Driver. I keep forgetting to put a few bags of salt in my trunk.

8. Vonpalyka

Vonpalyka Member

How do you get all the tires in your car to your friends shop? A couple of trips? That's what I keep going back and forth with. I don't really have the set up to change my own tires either. That's awesome you have a friend that can help!

9. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

One tire at a time in the trunk, one wheel in the back seat, 4-trips :driver:

or:

Car-n-truck.jpg

Vonpalyka likes this.
  10. B5blueRT

Ha, you'll figure it out. I can get two in through the trunk. If I'm going to wait while its getting worked on, I'll make two trips (I don't mind the 40 minute round trip in the Challenger) of if I plan on leaving it for the day, the other two tires are in my wife's SUV - she usually picks me up when dropping off the car.

Vonpalyka likes this.