Why a manual transmission is better than an automatic

By 70-426_10-SRT · Aug 5, 2019 ·
  1. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Active Member

What is the issue?

2. KEVIN DONOVAN

KEVIN DONOVAN Full Access Member

My last couple cars (Mustang GT and SVT Cobra) both were manuals. The Cobra has a very heavy race clutch from the factory. My left knee doesn’t like too much seat time in that car anymore. But still, I wanted a manual in my Challenger. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one that had the options and color I wanted with a manual. So I have the A8.
    Even though I'm well aware that modern automatics are faster shifting than manuals, I still prefer the interaction of the manual. There's also the issue of how the automatic is programmed. Most automatics have terrible programming. I used to do custom programming on my automatics which was great but nowadays I'm stuck with the factory setups. Luckily, the ZF auto in the new Challengers is programmed quite well. I find overall driveability to be very good, especially in Sport or Track modes.
    And as an added benefit the auto allows for remote start, better fuel mileage and better acceleration! Oh well, if I really want to drive a stick I can always go drive my Cobra since I gave it to my Daughter! :D

3. FrankenMax

FrankenMax Full Access Member

Manual and automatic transmissions from first hand experience. The manual transmissions is a solid unit, however the cake frosting Dodge decorated it with to boost there mpg’s is shit! To shove a clutch delay valve in the system, is chicken shit! To force a owner to bypass gears, is chicken shit! However there are ways to bypass there cake frosting. Remove the CDV, put a skip shift eliminator in and ditch the POS OEM divorced shifter. Barton is the only shifter worth the crap. HURST is dead!

As far as the automatic goes, well I haven’t broken it yet. However I have blown up TH 350’s and TH 400’s in my drag car. I’ve also smoked Allison 1000’s. I have rebuilt plenty of transmissions for customers many of whom where competitors. My dad is an engine builder, I grew up with Drag Racing. Or more like Drag racing raised me. Dodge has put a killer automatic transmission in these cars. It’s not perfect but it holds power well. It’s shifts with one purpose, to break your neck. For a stock trans it’s incredible.

For a factory challenger that one plans to keep stock I’d take a stick. With the modifications listed above. However if you live in or around a major city or plan on turning up the power. Go auto!

From a basic stand point the manual has a heavy clutch. But it’s more fun to drive! The automatic you can adjust for your style. But it is boring. I call it how I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk