Why Synthetic Is Better Than Conventional Oil

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by SRT-Tom, Oct 13, 2022.

1. 2009 Classic B5

2009 Classic B5 Full Access Member

Based on the fact that engine oils must meet ASTM specification tests, adding other components to the oil may not result in an oil that meets requirements. Better to just change your oil regularly than worry about aftermarket additives.

2. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

If you do your own oil and filter changes you just cannot go wrong with the old school 3,000 mile oil and oil filter changes. Those additives breakdown before you know it anyway.

3. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

LOL I know they pass ASTM tests.

If you had a child about to be operated on for a brain tumor, would you want a doctor who JUST BARELY PASSED his exam and was just one reprimand away from being fired from the hospital to operate on your child, OR, would you prefer someone who had a decades-long proven record of successful operations on tumors of the exact type on your child?

Amsoil costs less because lower wear and being able to SAFELY go for longer intervals between changes, coking less, retaining viscosity better, etc, not to mention their bypass filter system available to extend oil life even further.

But, not all wish to preserve their vehicle or their child, for as long as possible, and that is their choice.

But, to negate the oft-proven facts due to oft-conducted research of Amsoil based on "But muh grandpappy just use bacon grease in the rear and and it was fine" or whatever is not valid. Henry Ford used powdered grinding compound paste as the only lube in the wide-open differential (the gears were visible and exposed) of his record-setting speed car way back in the day, too.

Amsoil has been long proven to be superior, with research that names the actual names of the competitors against which it was compared. But, that does not necessitate anyone using it. But, it does make those who try to detract from it look like intentionally blind fools who aggressively ignore the proven research.

So an oil passes some set of lowest-possible-standard tests. That does not negate Amsoil's proven superiority. However, kudos to the marketing/propaganda teams at Pennzoil, Rotella, Mobil 1, Castrol, and Valvoline. The same people who have no response to the proven testing of Amsoil.

I don't like Amsoil due to a lack of knowledge. I have done a lot of research INTO their research.

Same with superchargers. I don't know the Gen V Whipple of 3.0L is superior because I had a friend who uses one as a doorstop and he's my buddy. The desisgn is clearly and vastly superior. I have done research. I have listened to those who own them.

Example: it's on the Drag Pak where the engine turns up to 10,000 RPM and produces 1600hp.

Another example: a user who drove his car in hot weather and stopped, opened his hood, and could put his hand on the top of the supercharger housing, which he could not do with the IHI.

Further, the internal aerodynamics of the Whipple are just flat superior to the IHI and the older-generation Whipples, with plentiful room for the air to hit the fronts of both rotors. The internal THERMOdynamics of the Whipple Gen V are superior to absolutely everyone else's, with the air passing through the aftercooler TWICE on its way to the very-smooth and well-blended transition to the individual port areas. Mopar did its homework, also, obviously.

Magnuson absolutely dropped the ball, in contrast, with poor aerodynamics and cooling compared to the Gen V Whipple, at least in the blowers for the Dodges.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  4. Moparisto

I think the two are fairly closely related.
    What is legally "this is that" and what is a statement "this is that" are not necessarily the same in a court of law.

Like, never say to a lawyer that you "suffered" ANYTHING.
    "Suffer" means "allow," legally.
    "Suffragettes" were fighting for women's suffrage, which was to suffer them to vote.

English is a fascinating language, but legalese is yet another layer on top of that one.

5. Moparisto

But, I just discovered David Vizard touts an oil in which company he is invested. I'm not going to mention the name. I would have to try the stuff out myself first. He has a good enough reputation that I would definitely give it a shot.

But, few have a good enough reputation for me to tout them without doing HOURS of research over YEARS, plus years of use.

"Few men's credit is as good as their money," as the saying goes.

6. stingray

Just add Duralube or Slick 50 and no worries.:facepalm::snoopfacepalm::perkinswhatever:

HellKitten and Moparisto like this.
  7. Moparisto

LOL or BOTH?

8. stingray

Use both.

9. Moparisto

Didn't someone invent an electronic gewgaw that "quintupled engine life" yet? There had to be one sometime way back in the day of comic book full-leaf advertising pages.

10. 2009 Classic B5

2009 Classic B5 Full Access Member

Having formulated top tier engine oils for 18 years, I know what it takes to pass ASTM engine tests. And the comment that they just squeek by is childish. The pass criteria for the standardized engine tests are established by OEM's, all of them, to assure the OEM that the oil will not be the source of warranty claims. An engine has to meet exhaust emissions standards for 150,000 miles, so using high quality oils and having appropriate oil change intervals is critical to reducing warranty costs.
    I tested Mobil 1 and other synthetics in both standardized tests and field tests and found Mobil 1 to be good but not much better than the average oil but proper formulation of additives and base oils can produce a product that surpasses Mobil 1 in most critical area. I produced a Gas-to-Liquids base oil, essentially identical to Shell's GTL base oil, and the engine oil formulated using that base oil was superior in all respects to Mobil 1. Especially piston ring and land deposits where the base oil used in Mobil, polyalphaolefin synthetic oil, doesn't have the solvency to keep deposits in suspension.
    All that being said, I would recommend any oil meeting both API SN and DELOS (GM) specifications (its on the bottle) any time. These oils have to pass both more stringent engine tests and quality assurance tests include product quality monitoring which includes spot engine testing of product sold.
    What I have learned from years of testing in severe duty service is that it is far more important to change you oil regularly (3000 to 5000 miles) than it is to give a hoot about which brand of oil you choose.

HellKitten likes this.