Sequential Tail Lights

Discussion in 'Challenger Exterior Modifications Forum' started by Storm Rider, Sep 18, 2011.

1. walnetto

walnetto Full Access Member

I've got a question for you electrical geniuses. I have a rear camera I put in (license plate frame) and at night the license light blinds the camera. I want to turn off the light when I back up. So far I have a SPDT relay. I found where the wires go out of the car to the side markers and license plate light. I guess I will have to turn off all those lights as there is no way I'm getting at just the license light wiring. All I need to do is find out what is the positive wire going to the backup lights. Someone told me that it is the white with green stripe going up the trunk lid.

I wonder why there are 7 wires going up to the trunk lid? All that is there is the tail lights, backup lights and deck release. Does the deck release take 3 wires? The white/purple must be for the tail lights as it is consistent with the marker and tail lights. The white/green is the left stop/turn light. That is what makes me confused why they would use white/green for the backup. Any of you who took your fixture off when you installed your Webelectrics, do you remember what the backup wires were? The one guy said he was looking at the original wiring harness and the white green was going to the sockets where the backup was.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. 2009SE

2009SE Active Member

Yep, but you would get a fast flash from the LACK of load.
    A load resistor would be needed.
    So one way or another you must mod the mod or
    suffer the sub par results.
    Burned out ICM with 8 standard bulbs or a fast flash with LEDs.
    Or mod the sequencer kit or mod the LED install...

The extra wire could be for the trunk ajar switch??
    Without any wiring diagrams, one is just guessing.
    I was not looking to do the mod so I dont remember
    the wiring scheme.
    On some vehicles the bulb is sinked to illuminate it instead of sourcing it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. walnetto

I just installed the WebElectric Sequential Flashers in my car yesterday. I got them from 213 Auto (post #6 of this thread). Although trying to light four bulbs in the short time frame of the Challenger signal interval, they still look better than just having the outer two bulbs light. I like that all 8 bulbs light when braking.

4. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

Glad you are enjoying your taillights. How long did the install take?

5. genotex

genotex Full Access Member

and you know they look GOOD Tom :)

6. walnetto

Ha! I think it took about 3 1/2 hours. Also scratched the rear of the deck lid just below the spoiler. Not a good day. Don't wait til winter to get these. Ha, ha. I should have taped the studs before trying to pull off center housing.

The left plug would not come off easily. Must have spent well over an hour trying to get it off without pulling the the wires out and ruining the thing. I didn't realize the red clip was out as far as it should be so I pushed it with a screwdriver. Bam, the clip went flying into the side of the car through one of the holes in the body. Luckily, my wife had a gillion compact mirrors and when I found one small enough to get in the hole, I saw it. Lucky for me there is a bottom and it fell near the square hole so I could fish it out with my finger. I finally inserted it as it was obvious on the other one that it had to be in the unlocked position for the plug to come out. I wound up pulling the plug out through the hole and using brute strength, got the thing to come off.

The instructions are clear enough, but it doesn't say to use a pliers to get the backup lights turned into the sockets. Wow, are those guys stingy on wire length. It just made it to the backup light.

I can see why they say to run the car and leave the blinkers run for a minute. At first when I turned on the left blinker, the first two lights lit at the same time. After a minute or so, they started to sequence.

I still say this is a vanity mod as the only way to appreciate them is to have someone else drive your car. LOL

Or, don't start this project when your wife is hauling your ass off to a concert later in the day. It can only add pressure to you completion timing.

The instructions should state that you will have to do all these procedures if you ever need to change a bulb. I wonder if these instructions are in the owner's manual?

More horror. While pulling off the side flaps on the end of the deck lid, I managed to bread off one of the clips. So far the flaps are staying put, but I'll bet at some time I will be at the parts department get new ones. Again, winter is not a good time to work on a car.

So, as you can see, I ran out of time and half the stuff I had to do blind in the dark. Again, summer is better for modding your car. I didn't get to installing the relay to turn off my license plate light so it doesn't blind my rear camera. Maybe a good thing the way everything was going. I was thinking I could tap into the wire on the harness for the center fixture so I wouldn't be altering the original equipment. Then I noticed that the 4 wires coming through the rubber into the trunk were firmly embedded into the rubber to keep moisture out of the car. Bummer. Perhaps I could drill out another hole, but that would mean taking apart the whole thing again. The only other place would be at the front of the trunk lid. Don't know if I want to add stuff there. Maybe up under the cover? I see those wires go up under the deck of the rear window and probably down the wheel well to the front of the car. I don't think I want to tap in a place where it would be hidden from the next owner or mechanic. Trying to be Mr. Nice Guy. Perhaps I'll do that next summer when it gets warmer and I can take my time.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. gene2473

gene2473 New Member

What mod to Sequential sequencers?

Can you tell us what mod you did to the sequential light kit to keep ICM from burning out? Thanks!