6-Piston Brembo cars with clicking noise from front wheel area

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by Katshot, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Ok, practically since new, I've noticed my car making a clicking noise coming from the front wheels when turning slightly in parking lots etc at low speeds. I assumed the noise was something common to the 6-piston Brembo brakes and promptly ignored it. Today while at the exhaust shop, I noticed the noise again as the guy backed the car out of the bay. A nearby tech made mention of it and said I should check my lugnuts. Said he saw a Jeep with the same noise and it turned out his lugnuts were loose. So...I came home and checked the lugnuts. They were properly torqued so I went a bit further and pulled both front wheels to investigate. What I found was interesting. The mating surface between the rotors and wheels was clean (a common trouble spot for this type of noise issue) but there was some rust around the hub flange where the rotor and wheel mount. I've also seen this cause noise problems so I cleaned and lubed the flange as well as the mating area on the wheels, then reassembled everything and torqued the lugnuts. Don't you know that eliminated the clicking noise!
    I went online to research the issue and found the noise is actually quite common on the these applications, and there are a few solutions for the issue as well. Everything I found seems to indicated the most common source of the clicking noise is corrosion or other foreign material between the rotor and wheel but I didn't see anyone mention the hub flange area as well. So, I figured I'd share my findings with you all.
    Don't forget to torque you nuts!;)

2. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Good to know. did you use anti-seize to lube the mating surfaces?

3. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

No, I used silicone brake lube. It's kind of my "go-to" lube for many things.