AC acting up, again 2016 Challenger Hellcat

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Janning, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Janning

Janning Full Access Member

Beginning of last summer, my AC started acting odd. Drivers side still ICE cold, but passengers side, is cabin temp occasionally getting a lil cool. I was still under warranty, so I brought it in expecting who knows what. They put in die, found no leaks and topped off Freon. (the new R1234yf )
    They said the low Freon can cause one side to go cool but not cold. I was leary but it worked. Then 3 months later I hit something on the road. They had to replace all the radiators and AC coils, this was November 2019. This is Texas so, we still use AC year round and its needed bad in
    May. Its worked fine, till last nite.....now the weird "not so cool, passengers side only" is back.
    The dealer said worse case, is full refill of the new type Freon R1234yf , 30oz at $10 per oz plus $225 labor, but, I must have a leak (I agree).

So my question is.......anything...suggestions? words of wisdom? (2016 Hellcat Challenger with 46000 miles - no warranty)

2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Wouldn't surprise me if you had a leaky evaporator.

3. Janning

thats what I was thinking, but, it happened over night...literally. and last time, they put in die....no leaks. Could be an extremely slow leak, and finally reached that unsweet spot where it produces symptoms. One thing is for sure.....leaks NEVER get better.
    8 months ago, it was replaced, like I said here n Texas we use AC, even in Dec. so its been ICE cold, till this morning. But, its been extra hot last couple days........104 with index of 118+
    8 months, it should be under warranty from the accident.

4. Katshot

Agreed. Most carry a 12 month warranty. The main reason I suggested the evaporator was the fact that it is the one component that's completely covered up and therefore much more difficult to observe a leak. Specifically using dye.

5. Janning

Yeah, with it being difficult to find a leak, its likely difficult to make them change it. I'm sure the whole front end has to come off, and it will take Weeks.

6. Janning

oh it just hit me...if its the evaporator coil.......that is the internal coil....they only changed the front condenser from the wreck. at best I'm only covered from the one in front.

7. Katshot

Correct. If the problem concerns the condenser or any of the components they worked on, it should be covered. Otherwise...you know the story.

8. emanuelletz

emanuelletz New Member

Do I understand your problem correctly? One side blows cold air, the other doesn't. I have the same problem with my Srt, no matter what temperature I set on the driver's side, it blows cold. My mixing flap actuator is defective. Above the accelerator pedal. Could be on passenger side, too in your case. Sry when I understand it not correctly

9. Janning

Its the evaporator coil...........$2500. I raised a lil cain and said "I brought this in last year while stil under warranty and all you did was a top off......never fixing it" they are doing a "good faith warranty" on it....I pay $500 even, and they cover the rest.......not bad!

10. Katshot

Nice!