Another Major Car Heist

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by SRT-Tom, Sep 7, 2021.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Thieves broke into the service bay area of a Dodge dealership in Brooklyn Park, MN and stole 17 cars over two days.

Detectives learned the vehicles were actually placed inside the service center, with the keys inside of them, as protection from approaching storms.

So far investigators have one person in custody and five cars recovered.

Four were found abandoned in neighborhoods across the metro.

Now the hunt is on for the 12 other missing vehicles and the people responsible for taking them.

Police Search For 17 Cars Stolen From Brooklyn Park Dealership – WCCO | CBS Minnesota (cbslocal.com)

2. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Yup. Have seen the same scenario played out at several Cleveland - Akron dealerships over the past year. One was a Chrysler/Jeep/RAM/Dodge dealer, took several performance cars from both inside and outside the building since they had access to the keys. Some others were hit too, but not all Mopar dealers.
    I swear once a news story like this breaks, you get a bunch of copycats saying "hey what a great idea". Same with all those smash and grabs where the thieves steal a minivan, ram the backend of it through the doors of a convenient store and heist the ATM machine either in the van or another vehicle they have waiting.
    All this crap isn't funny anymore.

3. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

^^^ No it isn't funny and never was. Until they start punishing these thieves, and I don't care what color they are, these crimes will just continue. No excuses, it's jail time.

4. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

Such crimes should be punishable by death. I'm not kidding... This BS has to stop. Sending criminals to prison is like sending them to a country club. In the 1800's, if you stole a horse - you hanged!

Back to discussing issues of importance... Anyone using a catch-can? o_O

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    leadsled likes this.
  5. SRT-Tom

I agree. They should get back to this.

[​IMG]

68MOPAR likes this.
  6. SRT-Tom

I have a Billet catch can on my 6.1. It works great- captures all of that nasty blow-by so it is not burned in my engine.

There is an informative article on catch cans here:

Oil Catch Cans | Dodge Challenger Forum

Challenger 005.JPG

68MOPAR likes this.
  7. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

8. DENNIS MORRIS

DENNIS MORRIS Member

Having Manual trans helps reduce my chances of theft, garage kept helps also.

NC20RT likes this.
  9. Terry Bottrell

Terry Bottrell Member

I have a catch-can on my 2017 Scat-Pak and on my 2012 Ram. It is surprising how much oil it catches. And I have noticed a difference in how they run.

10. SRT-Tom

Here's a story about dealership thieves that got caught.

HIGHLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Three Detroit men and a teenage boy have been arrested in connection with the theft of four high-end vehicles valued at nearly $330,000 from a southeastern Michigan car dealership.

The thefts occurred Wednesday in Highland Township, the Oakland County sheriff’s office said Thursday in a release.

Vehicle key fobs were stolen from an office. Two of the vehicles were driven out through the showroom’s glass door wall.

An area auto theft unit tracked a 2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat SRT later Wednesday to Birmingham, northwest of Detroit. The driver crashed the SUV into a brick wall while fleeing.

He and two passengers were arrested. The passengers were wearing masks that covered their faces except for the eyes. Police recovered $5,800, a loaded semi-automatic handgun with an extended magazine holding 30 rounds and a computer device used to reprogram key fobs.

The sheriff’s office said the men are not believed to have stolen the Durango but paid $5,000 for one of the vehicles. The Durango is valued at about $100,000.

A 15-year-old male, a younger brother of one of the men, was arrested later in Detroit.

A 2021 Dodge Durango GT, 2021 Dodge Ram TRX and a 2017 Dodge Charger Hellcat SRT also were stolen and later recovered.

Sheriff Michael Bouchard said the suspects were involved in a commercial auto theft ring.

The thefts also are connected to several break-ins Wednesday at gas stations in western Oakland County where cash, cigarettes and other merchandise were taken, Bouchard’s office said.