Best Brake Squeak Elimination Ideas

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by Old Dominion, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Old Dominion

Old Dominion New Member

We have developed an irritating brake squeak. (2010 Challenger R/T 40,000mi)
    Just had new front pads installed w/rotors turned at dealership. Still squeaks. Rear brakes show very little wear, but squeak could be from there. I hate to pay the dealer to do anything to the rear brakes since they don't want to say they can cure the squeak. I've always done most of my own car maintenance, but have had the dealer do the work on this car so I have impeccable records for my lifetime warranty.

I'm looking for effective solutions. I can change the rear pads myself, but I wonder if there is a particular combination of brand/model of pads, shims or anti-squeak compounds that have cured this problem for others. This car is an everyday driver and highway cruiser to see the grandkids. No need for cutting edge stopping technology unless that stops the squeak.

Thanks in advance from the Old Dominion

2. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

I know there are different grades of brake pads. You could try a top tier pad for a few dollars more than regular pads. That may help.

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

4. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Active Member

Might be a sign that the pads are wore out. I havent changed pads since I owned a 92 Cherokee. The new pads did not include shims and I did not put enough anti squeal compound on the back of the pad.Had to do it it over and use a generous amount of of the anti-squeal compound the second go round. I was told that the oem pads were designed to start squealing when they were wore out. I only changed the front as the rear were like new at 60 k.

5. RT_6Speed

RT_6Speed Full Access Member

Sometimes the break squeel is a resonance thing. Autozone, O'Reilly's, or your favorite auto store should sell a small package of some red stuff that you put on the back of the break pads. You can also get a small can of spray, Permatex makes some, that you also apply to the back of the pads. I've used the Permatex and it works for me.

Permatex 80077 Disc Brake Quiet, 9 oz. net Aerosol Can : Amazon.com : Automotive