Car buying help

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by h2pvnus, Jan 15, 2017.

1. h2pvnus

h2pvnus New Member

Hi. I'm looking to buy a used Challenger (my first ever muscle car). Which model is more reliable? I prefer from 2013-2016. Any help will be appriciate much. Thank guys

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The model you buy will depend on several factors such as cost, performance and, possibly mileage. Since this is your first muscle car, I would test drive the SXT 3.6 (305 hp), R/T-5.7 (375 hp) and the SRT- 6.4 (475 hp) to see what suits you. For example, you may find the 305 hp of the 3.6 more than adequate.

All of these engines are reliable. However, if horsepower is your main concern, buy a 6.4. with its 485 hp.

Another option is to buy a 2008 or 2009 SRT with its 6.1, 425 hp Hemi, like mine. There are many for sale with low mileage. This is an exceptional engine with tons of power. Also, because it is a top-of-the line high performance model, you will get all the goodies, such as Brembo brakes, upgraded suspension with Bilstein shocks, leather SRT seats, factory shorty headers, forged aluminum 20 inch wheels, wider 245/45/20 tires, special badging, etc.

Check out the prices on cars.com.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I had a 2011 Challenger R/T Classic that seemed to be a pretty reliable ride. The only non-wear service I had to do was replacing the alternator.

4. Climber

Climber Full Access Member

We bought our 2016 R/T Plus 5.7 6 speed manual in Oct. and have not looked back. No, it is not suited for snow packed or icy roads that we see this time of year. It snowed yesterday but it will melt today and tomorrow. We have other 4x4 and AWD that we use in bad weather. I have observed 25 plus mpg in 6th gear on the highway. At 80 mph in 6th gear the Hemi is chugging along at 1800 rpm. If I need more oomph out of it I just pull it back into 4th gear and go for it and it will respond. This car gets a lot of unwanted attention because Plum Crazy is not a common color in these parts. That aside, life is good in the purple thing.

5. dC.mx

dC.mx Full Access Member

Just choose V8 its more realible than v6..

6. mojoishere

mojoishere New Member

I run with blizzaks which asre V rated for speed. It definitely makes the car driveable and a lot safer...highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

7. soonercruiser

soonercruiser Full Access Member

Just upgraded from a nice 2010 V6 SE, to a SRT8 6.4L 2011, last fall.
    The V6 was just a fine automobile.
    BUT...the SRT8 6.4 is amazing! And,a lot more fun.

I did this not long after I heard Chrysler was going to stop making V8s in the future.

8. chithead

chithead Full Access Member

V8 vote for me. And I totally agree, could be worth going back a few years to score an SRT 6.1 - or if you can grab an SRT Core to save a few bucks - heck yeah!!!

9. Climber

Climber Full Access Member

Thanks for the advice. I would guess that 2 or 3 sand tubes in that huge trunk would get some weight on that rear axle. The tubes weigh in at 60lbs each. They work well in my 4x4 Tacoma P/U for winter conditions. Then again, the weight of the Challenger may not warrant extra weight in the trunk. Right now this car is just a warm day, dry road cruiser. I see some people trying to drive 5.0 Mustangs, SS Camaros and Challenger R/T or SRT on snow packed roads and they are not having a good time at all. Then again, there is the video of the Hellcat in Sweden doing 180 mph on snow/ice with some beefy spiked tires. Thanks again.

10. 14RT

14RT Member

SRT or R/T, don't waste your money on a V6. My First Challenger is an R/T. My next will be a Hellcat.