Challenger & Charger on Borrowed Time

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by SRT-Tom, Nov 23, 2021.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Hold onto your Challengers!

The Drive is reporting that the Charger and Challenger are both on the chopping block. The popular muscle cars will be available only through 2023.

"I will have this car, this platform, this powertrain as we know it through the end of '23. There's two more years to buy a Hellcat, then it's history," said Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis, indicating that production of the long-running Charger and Challenger lines will soon to draw to a close. While back in August, Dodge hinted that its traditional muscle cars could stay for a short period beyond 2024, that no longer seems to be the case.

Dodge is plotting the road to 2024 with its 24 Months of Muscle calendar, counting the days until the end of what has been a successful era for the company. Events already revealed on the calendar include the release of the Jailbreak models and the return of the Direct Connection parts catalog.

There are a further 22 events hinted at on the calendar, suggesting Dodge has plenty more in store before last call.

In future, Dodge will be moving towards electric drive. The company expects to reveal its concept electric muscle car in the first quarter of 2022, aiming for a 2024 release. Dodge will "do electrification different than everybody else," said Kuniskis, adding "That's why I'm waiting, until I have all my patents done."

Kuniskis also indicated a plug-in hybrid would join the Dodge lineup as a new vehicle, rather than a version of an existing model. There's also a third reveal planned for 2022, but the Dodge CEO was tight lipped as to what that could involve.

Dodge Challenger, Charger and Hellcat Engines Will Die By 2024 (msn.com)

NC20RT likes this.
  2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Tough to hear. I'm so glad I could finally afford my new Challenger last year. It was my first new car in over a decade and I hope to keep it as long as possible. I'm not sure I will ever be able to get 'new' again as it's tough to save up that kind of $$$.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  3. SRT-Tom

For selfish reasons, I'm glad. When I bought my 2009 Challenger SRT in Dec. 2008, I thought I was buying a limited production car, that would have no more than a 5-year run like the 1970-1974 version- i.e., an instant collectible. I never expected it to last 15 years.

I don't know how many of you feel this way.

NC20RT likes this.
  4. NC20RT

^^^ I never thought the run would last so long either. I figured once everyone bought one that had memories from the past, then the sales would diminish. Like the 2002 -2005 Ford Thunderbird run, once everyone bought one again, sales then plummeted. Just the opposite for the Challenger.

I always figured i would end getting a nice low mileage used Challenger one day but I lucked out with this crazy extended run.

5. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I thought the same and bought my 2015 Challenger new thinking the run would end within two years. I only have 13K miles on it so I'm not planning on getting a new one before 2024, this one suits me just fine.

NC20RT likes this.
  6. NC20RT

Wow!! Your ultra low mileage will be so desirable one day if you ever sell. 2,000 miles per year is about perfect to keep the car systems operating well with not too much sitting (other than winter of course). My first year, which ended Nov 5, I put about 2,500 miles on the R/T so I'm somewhat similar.

7. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

It was the perfect setup. I bought it NEW in the summer of 2016, so it was already over a model year old. I couldn't pass up the deal and figured this would be a perfect "retirement car" for me. First 2 years of ownership I was still working and had a company car so this was just a pleasure cruiser. Now it's my daily driver but being retired, having some health issues and with the COVID crap haven't been doing a lot of driving, but it's ready for the snow if the wife's out with our SUV somewhere.

8. SRT-Tom