Challenger SXT, R/T and SRT

Discussion in 'Prospective Challenger Owners Forum' started by stingray, Jul 20, 2012.

1. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

I remember driving a 1978 Trans-Am 400 engine with automatic 3 spd. transmission and that was a heavy car only with a 2.56 rear end. Still only got 10 mpg but being it was a heavy car with auto trans I remember wearing brakes out faster than with my lighter cars with manual transmissions.:Frustrated:
    This would be the same case with Challenger cars since these are very heavy cars?

2. walnetto

walnetto Full Access Member

You've been shopping for a long time. When are you going to pull the plug?

Drive in the city a lot? Get the 6. Want a manual transmission? Get an R/T. Drive in the country where you can play on deserted roads? Get the R/T. Want the smoothest ride? The the 6 with 18" wheels. I also have a set of 20" and you can feel the cracks in the road a little more, but only if you are thinking about it. Don't care what others think of your choice? Get the 6. Want a Challenger for the least amount of money? Get the 6. Got to be one of the boys? Get the R/T. Have extra disposable income you don't need? Get the SRT. The choice is simple. You have to fall into one of those categories.

3. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

The MDS was designed to beat the gas guzzler tax, so for that I like it. It is only on the automatic and I have a 6speed, so I still don't mind it :headbang: because it doesn't effect me.

The SXT is a 6 cylinder engined car, so you will not have MDS as there is no need to cut out cylinders.

The Hemi has 16 spark plugs, two per cylinder.

Just to clear up your questions

4. stingray

:Plugged:Pull the plug:smiley-face-popcorn
    What package would you leave out of the R/T package to get a comfortable ride like the SXT if that is possible?:Frustrated:

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

All Hemi engines, 5.7, 6.1, & 6.4 all have 16 spark plugs (2 per cylinder).

Here is a good explanation by allpar:

"Each cylinder has an ignition coil pack over one spark plug, and a regular plug wire connected to the other spark plug. Further, the coil pack also has a plug wire attached to it that extends to the opposite cylinder bank. Each cylinder shares a coil pack with another cylinder. Each of the two plugs on a given cylinder is fired by a separate coil. One plug has a coil directly attached, and the other is fired via an ignition wire connected to a coil located on another cylinder on the opposite bank. The extra plug fires during the power stroke to more fully burn the hydrocarbons. The second ignition allows additional power in the down stroke while lowering the need for restrictive catalyst plates in the converter.

In the 1980s Japanese manufacturers reduced unburned hydrocarbons by placing spark plugs either in the exhaust pipe (which fired with every piston ignition) or in the exhaust manifold (which fired each time their corresponding cylinder fired). Chrysler morphed this idea to include dual fired plugs on each cylinder, which allows the firing to take place closer to top dead center, and then again when the piston is on the back side of the power stroke. This also reduces NOx and ozone. Full combustion results in heat, water, and carbon dioxide. NOx emissions are only significant during incomplete or partial combustion, due to the lack of available oxygen, high temperatures, and various chemical reactions. That's why catalytic converters have been standard on cars for the past 3 decades. The extra set of spark plugs on the HEMI, and on previous engines, are designed to reduce emissions before a catalyst is needed. They add some horsepower, but not very much."

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  6. stingray

Thanks for that info.

7. stingray

16 spark plugs on a V8?
    What does the Mustang GT have with the 5.0 32 valve engine?

8. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Only the Hemi requires 16 spark plugs. This setup is required because of its unique combustion chamber and emissions.

9. stingray

This is for the R/T and SRT Challenger only?

10. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

The SRT has a gas guzzler tax in most states. Only the 5.7 has the MDS. The SRT's have either a 6.1 or 6.4 and if the rumors are correct. Should have a 6.2 supercharged. Dodge used the V-6 and the 5.7 engines to help the Challenger series (all Challengers) get the required government mpg per model.