Crazy Rumor

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by SRT-Tom, Nov 17, 2018.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Take it for what's it's worth, but this guy, based on a dealership meeting at SEMA, claims that Dodge will be producing turbocharged 4 and 6 cylinder engines AND a supercharged 5.7L. He also claims that the supercharged 5.7 will be replacing the 392. Believe it or not?

2. Vyper

Vyper Well-Known Member

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

That may happen due to CAFE regulations and fleet mileage standards. But, I question if a 5.7L supercharged engine will replace the 392.

SEMA isn’t the venue that any major automaker is likely to release info about upcoming production vehicles or engines. It’s an aftermarket convention.

Also, economically and performance-wise, killing the 392 doesn't make much sense. The 392 is just a stroker 5.7L, so essentially it is fairly inexpensive to build. A supercharger is a high dollar add-on to make the same power as a 392, with potentially less performance under 3,000 rpm.

4. Vyper

Vyper Well-Known Member

That's a rumor that's been around for about a year. I remember first reading something about it in December 2017. The article said something about a turbocharged 5.7 to replace - or - supplement the 392... let me see if I could find it.

5. Vyper

Vyper Well-Known Member

6. tjfrombama

tjfrombama Full Access Member

GME 2.0L turbo 4 is already available in Cherokee and Wrangler and Alfa platform. Everything else mentioned above is confidential. But, personally, I don't see Hemi going away anytime soon.