Design Flaw

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by SRT-Tom, Nov 14, 2020.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Have any of you owners of 2019 Challengers encountered a problem with tears to your front carpets?

The plastic retention clips hooks that hold the front floor mats in place are only attached to the carpet. They should have been mounted to the floor pan of the passenger compartment. This is a cost-cutting design flaw.

2. Mfknjadagr8

Mfknjadagr8 Full Access Member

Every car I've owned except the mustang +has them this way. The key is not to push off with your feet inside to stand up on the other leg. I've noticed this happens more with bigger people like myself that have less core strength to pull myself out without pushing off or pulling on the frame with my hands. It would be nice if they were attached to the pan though I've torn almost every one I've had with the exception of the mustang gt which does have them attached to the floorpan. Of the five other cars I've owned they went through the carpet and at most had an adhesive to hold them in place.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

My Cobra was a 2003 and had no anchors for the mats. My Lexus and Jeep both have anchors mounted only to the carpet. I've never had a problem with the anchors failing so I'm not sure you could classify it a "design flaw".