Dodges Response to this foam rust issue

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Liam Wilson, Jun 4, 2021.

1. F8 GT

F8 GT Member

Very true and good points mentioned. The 6th gen Camaros seem to have more problems (from what I've read) than the 5th gens did. I had a 2012 1SS for about eight years and had no issues. I'm still enjoying the Challenger. Even with the V6, it drives very well, comfortable, and gets good mpg on regular gas. It's the smoothest running and quietest engine I've ever owned. I hope I have as good of luck with Dodge as I've had with Chevys.

2. gostro

gostro Full Access Member

I'm guessing if it were that big of a problem, they'd have it fixed by now. From what I remember reading, this problem began with 2013 (or earlier) models. Granted, it takes time for a problem like that to show up but we're also a long way removed from those years, as well. More than enough, I'd imagine, to have it fixed within the last several model years. I say keep your Challenger and enjoy it! Or, upgrade to the RT/Scat pack if you want the power. I'm not the least bit worried about this with my '21 scat pack. I think you're over-thinking it and worrying a little too much.

NC20RT likes this.
  3. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

I'm with ya all the way as this is my first Mopar in decades, and I'm hoping, just like you. I've had GM cars in the past (both positive and negative experiences) and still have my '01 Trans Am since it was new. I've had repairs done but rather normal stuff, from the rear end to a water pump, nothing out of the ordinary for a now 20 year old car with 77k miles. I'm hoping for the same success with my R/T.

You never know what's down the road with any new car you buy. My rule of thumb is to never buy a first year of a new design. I felt real safe with my R/T since it has been out 'forever'. I waited for the 3rd model year for my '07 Mustang too. This Ford was the car I expected some issues with over the years but I have not been in for a repair in 14 years. just batteries and that lousy seat belt recall (3 trips). Just hit 60k miles with it.

4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

If we haven't welcomed you yet to the forum, "Welcome". I agree, keep and enjoy your Challenger. I don't think you'll really have to worry about the corrosion issue since you won't see road salt. I live in the rust belt, drive my RT year round and I'm not worried. I'm getting the winter wheels/tires put on tomorrow and drive it through the winter. If for some reason I do see corrosion I'll have it cut out and repaired, but not expecting to see any.

I am bothered by a comment you did make. "... quietest engine I've ever owned.." You have to fix that. There are several aftermarket exhaust systems you can replace the factory one with that will give a nice throaty tone and be a little louder. It's a safety thing, you want people to hear you coming so they can get out of the way! LOL

NC20RT likes this.
  5. F8 GT

F8 GT Member

Thank you for the welcome. Don't get me wrong, I love the rumble of a V8. My '96 Z28 (that I owned for 15 years) had a great sound from the stock exhaust. With the Dodge V6, to me it's amazingly quiet and smooth when idling at a stoplight. Because the V6 is not an actual "performance" car, I don't mind, and like, the silky operation of the engine. But keep in mind, the thought of replacing it one day with an R/T is still in my head and not likely to go away....

NC20RT and B5blueRT like this.
  6. dlw2385

dlw2385 New Member

technically to dodge its not the foam to them its us lazy owners that don't check the drain holes that cause this rusting issue that magically don't exist