Driver Side Window Keeps Going Up & Down

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by ONE L COOL J, Mar 17, 2022.

1. ONE L COOL J

ONE L COOL J Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

While I was warming up my car yesterday, my driver side window randomly went down a 1/4" then back up a 1/4". I believe this is the "Smart Glass" feature that slightly lowers & raises your window whenever you open/close the door. I immediately opened my door to see if it would go back down a 1/4", and it did. But when I closed the door it did not go up a 1/4" until 3 minutes later. As I was driving home, it would randomly go down a 1/4" then back up a 1/4" about every 5 minutes. I was worried that it would keep doing it while the car is shut off, so I stuck a piece of paper where the window meets the rubber molding, so that if it went down while I was asleep, I would know in the morning. Luckily this morning the paper was still there, so I don't think it's happening while the car is shut off (yet?).

Based on my research on this forum, it looks like the top 3 culprits are..

1. Door latch mechanism

2. Window recalibration

3. Power window motor

4. Driver/passenger door module

Does anyone know where to find the door latch mechanism? How much it costs to replace at a dealership? Or instructions on how to DIY?

[​IMG]

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Before you buy anything or take your car to the dealer, try these two window calibration procedures. It is worth a shot.

First Procedure:
    1. With the doors closed, put the key in the ignition and turn the electronics on, but do not start the car.
    2. Press the passenger window switch down 10 times.
    3. Then press the switch up 3 times.
    4. Window should recalibrate.

Second procedure:

DODGE CHALLENGER RECALIBRATING YOUR WINDOWS IN 5 MINUTES!?! - YouTube

ONE L COOL J likes this.
  3. ONE L COOL J

Thank you! Is this the method for newer or older Chally's? I've got a 2009.

4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The first procedure is for older Challengers. If it doesn't work, try the second one.

5. ONE L COOL J

I bought a new door latch mechanism from Rock Auto. I replaced the whole mechanism, but I could not open my door from the outside handle. So I removed the smart window sensor from the door latch mechanism and attached it to my old mechanism. Everything works fine now. My window hasn't dropped on it's own in 2 days