Factory Upbadging

Discussion in 'Challenger R/T Engine & Performance Modifications' started by SRT-Tom, Mar 12, 2023.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

This Last Call 5.7 (345 c.i.) Challenger Shaker R/T has a 392 HEMI badge on the shaker- an obvious "upbadging" mistake by the factory.

What would you do if your Challenger was delivered like this?

Clazar likes this.
  2. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

I'd want it corrected. You may have noticed some Chevrolet applications classify their 5.7's as 350 cu. in. (LT1), some as 345 (LS1).

3. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

Saw several IROC-Z's on lots back in the day that had Tuned Port Injection on the rear bumper, but had an electronically controlled carb under the hood

4. SRT-Tom

Here's another factory mistake- an SXT with R/T side stripes.

[​IMG]

Clazar likes this.
  5. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

How do you know it's a SXT?
    the reason why I'm asking is because the window sticker on my 2015's RT Plus lists the car as a "Dodge Challenger SXT Plus for $29,995. The "R/T Plus 5.7L Hemi V8 28D" shows as an option for $5,000.

CHallenger Window Sticker.jpeg

Clazar likes this.
  6. SRT-Tom

The red Challenger in the photo does not have engine call-outs emblems and has 8-inch SXT wheels.

The factory invoice was printed wrong. At the top of the invoice, it correctly lists the car as a Challenger R/T Plus. It also correctly lists it as having a 5.7 HEMI. SXTs only have the 3.6 six-cylinder. So, the wording "Dodge Challenger SXT Plus" under the base price is incorrect.

What is confusing is that the SXT Plus and the R/T Plus had the same $29,995 base price in 2015 (see link, below).

The $5,000 charge on the invoice line, in bold type, "R/T Plus 5.7 HEMI," is the total figure of all the options listed below that line (i.e., Driver Convenience Group, Harmon Kardon Sound System, Super Track Pack, 8-Speed Torqueflite, Hood Stripe and u-Connect).

https://www.cars.com/research/dodge-challenger-2015/specs/369296/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  7. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Seems like at least in 2015 the R/T's was a "trim option" on the SXT hence starting out at the same base price. (?) Confusing but I've seen this before with various manufacturers. The "base model" will show all the standard features on the left column and then the optional after that. Generic examples would be an upgraded tire and wheel package. The standard 18" aluminum wheels would be listed and then under options the 20" blackout wheels would be shown with the additional cost.
    I wonder how the window stickers of some of the other models were done, like the Hellcat.
    Gee, if my window sticker was a one-off mistake, maybe it's worth thousands of dollars. Or cryto! LOL

8. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

Does that mean you can get an AWD Challenger SXT and just "kinda" upgrade the motor to a V8 from the factory, as delivered, new?

9. george galvin

george galvin Member

I would think Factory mistakes mean its worth more $$ in the end...

10. SRT-Tom