First 1970 Hemi 'Cuda for Sale

Discussion in 'First Generation Challenger Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Feb 20, 2023.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The first built 1970 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda is up for sale.

The car is being offered by Indiana-based Motorvault for a cool $2.2 million. An ordinary Hemi 'Cuda (as performance versions were badged beginning in 1970) could probably fetch that amount at auction, but this car is also billed as a pre-production example with just 17,755 miles.

The 'Cuda is just 1 of 284 1970 'Cudas built with a 426 Hemi and a 4-speed.

It is also the third 1970 Plymouth Barracuda built, and the first with a Hemi. Completed on August 1, 1969 in Hamtramck, Michigan, it also has an unusual combination of options. Unlike most Hemi 'Cudas ordered by customers, it lacks a tachometer and exterior graphics. It also features an overhead console and the Premium trim package.

Per the seller, the car has been in Indiana since 1983, spending most of its life in a museum. It was repainted in the same Alpine White color applied at the factory, but is otherwise claimed to be unrestored. Hemi 'Cudas already command big money- a pair of convertibles sold for more than $2 million each at a 2016 auction- and this car's originality and unique history should only add to its value.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moparisto likes this.
  2. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

the shaker bubble is wrong color, they were all argent silver in 1970 except if the cuda was red it became body color. the black bubble was a 1971 thing. The shaker bubble was actually called by chrysler in there literature the "cold - air power dome" .

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  3. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

I really like hearing from someone who was there and who knows what they are talking about.

4. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

I would love to see the build sheet if there is one and decode it, I see a lot wrong with the car after looking at the rest of the pic's and I also noticed that they only have a (3) star rating all I can say is GOOD LUCK..

5. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

The radiator is correct... :)

baccaruda likes this.
  6. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The article said the car was repainted. They probably painted the shaker gloss black to contrast with the Alpine White paint.

Even if they wanted to duplicate the color of the 1971 shaker, they failed. That year, it was more of a satin textured finish (see photo below). Even an expert in restoration, like Mark Worman of Graveyard Carz has difficulty duplicating it.

In 1971, the acronym for the shaker was ieqcag. It stood for Incredible Exposed Quivering Cold Air Grabber. I had one on my 1971 340 'Cuda.

[​IMG]