For the more mechanical types: if a meteorite EMP'd the electronic world...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Moparisto, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

or there was a threat thereof, what would your non-electronic induction/fuel system of choice be?

Oh, and gasoline is free. Another byproduct of that super-selective meteorite. Convenient, yes?

Me? Tunnel ram with some O-so-carefully-set-up Holley four-barrels on it. As small as I could possibly get away with and still retain simultaneous four-barrel actuation. In effect, eight carburetor barrels all singing their choir simultaneously. I like the idea of a square carburetor, as it makes mixture distribution easier. It would be better if the intake runners all sat tidily directly underneath each carburetor venturi. It may take some custom welding, etc. to do.

I am actually a bit curious if having the runner open right beneath the carb venturi would be ideal, or if some offset would be advantageous.

I would want my tunnel ram runners to allow one to peer down the runner and see the intake valve.

I can't see using a Hellcat blower sucking through a carburetor. That gasoline would not go well with the internal coatings and bearings of an IHI blower, I believe.

I guess one could use the supercharger and rig up a stack of blow-through Webers under it, below the aftercoolers. That would take some creativity.

An alternative is injectors. Think Hilborn or old Crower modified to suit.

What would you all use if the rules were just, "no electronic fuel/air metering?"

2. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Full Access Member

Years ago, Yamaha made a 5-valve per cylinder engine that had a radical-for-the-time downdraft carburetor setup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Genesis_engine

This engine had exactly what you’re talking about, you could peer down the intake runners and see the intake valves.

3. Moparisto

I think to somewhat still have some function with a Hellcat, one would want to have some means of slaving the bypass valve to some pressure source in the intake tract somewhere.

For the fuel? some piston-type mechanical fuel injectors could work.

For simpler cars? Just throw a carburetor or carburetors on it and a distributor adapter kit I reckon...

4. Moparisto

Since this is inspiration for me, I just put it there. A video of a battle-scarred great white shark going by with those black, intense eyes.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1614238526442274818

I'm not a big fish lover but, wow. That shark has been through some stuff.

"You should see the other guy" applies here. It reminds me of the great white that has been bitten in half by something HUGE that they found in the ocean.

The oceans are more mysterious than the planets.

While I'm on the theme of potential car paint schemes, which is why I put it here, how about "Antarctic White?"
    [​IMG]
    NASA just found a perfectly-cut rectangular trillion-ton iceberg off of Antarctica.
    Twitter has become downright useful and interesting lately.

https://twitter.com/MAstronomers/status/1614350513331470338/photo/1

Think of the fact that NINE TENTHS OF THAT THING IS UNDER WATER.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023