Goodyear F1 Tires

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by SRT-Tom, Feb 25, 2012.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

We all know that the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires are a summer tire and should not be driven in cold weather (i.e., under 45 degrees), when they become like frozen hockey pucks.

Motor Trend tested a Corvette Grand Sport Coupe with them against a Porche 911 Carrera S. Here is what it had to say about running F1s in cold weather:

"When pushed in inclement weather, the 911 shone and the Corvette fell down. And I mean that it really fell down. I know we're not supposed to use the word dangerous unless were being gravely serious, so I'm using it now. This car, with these tires, is downright dangerous in the rain and cold. These rock hard Eagle F1 Supercar tires have no grip at all when they're cold. Combine that with over 400 lb-ft of torque to the rearwheels available at the slightest spasm of the right foot, and its a recipe for diaster."

Note: The Corvette had 275/35ZR18 Goodyear Supercar F1 tires on the front and 325/30ZR19s on the rear.
    The Porche 911 had 245/35ZR20s tires on the front and 295/30ZR20s on the rear.

2. genotex

genotex Full Access Member

Personal experience... not a problem :)

Just sayin'

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

This wasn't street driving. Motor Trend was going all out with the Corvette on these tires.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. Bullishman13

Bullishman13 Full Access Member

I canned mine, both front tires had broken belts in them. No out right cause. Sent them back to Goodyear through the local tire shop and haven't heard anything. I don't expect anything, just an answer.

Replaced mine with 255/45's all around.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Well-Known Member Staff Member Administrator

How much tread did it have left on them?

6. Bullishman13

Bullishman13 Full Access Member

About 4/32 (top of Washington's head on a quarter). There were spots in the tire where it was less, hence the broken belts. About a 3 inch strip on the outside portion of the tire where the sidewall and tread marry up was balding and had a depression on it. It's apparently something that happens, but is not common. It's safe to say that both front tires did it, making it even more rare, or an issue with that batch from the factory. I'm just happy that I took it in to a friend that knows tires.

You can get that kind of breakage from hard braking and cornering, none of which I did in my car. None of which I would expect from a car tire rated as a F1 Supercar tire. I've been lurking other forums and have found a consensus amongst other owners of Challengers that the stock tires need replacing early and aren't the best for most users.

Tires did not like the rain at all, hydroplaning front and rear is not a fun thing. The RSAs are decent all year (here in NC) and get good traction in the rain. No experience in the ice or snow, but I have the wife's Mazda 6 for that stuff.

7. dC.mx

dC.mx Full Access Member

How much does one eagle F1 cost in US ? Here it is about 500euros which is 670 us dollars..

So over 1300 dollars just to replace new one's at rear hehe

8. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

tires

GOODYEAR Eagle F1 SuperCar
    Size: 255/45ZR20
    Serv. Desc: 101Y
    Sidewall: VSB
    UTQG: 220 AA A
    Customer Price:

$ 382.89 ea us dollars

this is what i sell them for installed ...:wave:

9. dC.mx

dC.mx Full Access Member

Okay thanks :D Was just curious bout the prize since it's not cheap tyre :p

10. Jersey Rocket

Jersey Rocket New Member

I have a '08 C6 Corvette that came with GY F1's and they sucked in that the tread wore down quickly, were noisey and had a hard ride. Eventually I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and what a difference. The car handles better, hooks better and the tread wear is so much better.
    On my '10 Challenger, the rear GY's wore down quickly and I replaced them at 6500 miles with the Michelins. They hook so much better and with 5,000 miles on them, the tread is hardly worn down. Plus they are great in the rain. When the fronts go I'll replace them with the Michelins also.