Hellcat Dyno Results

Discussion in 'Challenger HellCat Forum Engine & Performance' started by SRT-Tom, Oct 8, 2022.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

As we all know, the Hellcat puts out 717 horsepower and 656 lb-ft of torque. But, did you know that the horsepower is understated by Dodge?

Freedom Street Garage put a stock Hellcat Widebody on a dyno and it put out 748 horsepower at the crank. If you look at the dyno map in the video, the Hellcat actually puts out 563 whp. (wheel horsepower), while torque figures are 521 lb-ft.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  2. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

Now I know what was happening when I had my Hellcat on the dyno. Hot catalytic converters. Second run was 30hp less than the first run.

So, how does Dodge sense that? The probe that is after the catalysts?

I can see an easy cure, for those of us who, for some reason, like catalytic converters: more catalysts, bigger ones, or both.

but, the easiest solution is just eliminate the catalysts. That "dump fuel on it to cool the cats" thing is something I find to be annoying, though I understand the logic behind it.

3. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

HOWEVER, my best run was 618hp, IIRC, so, not bad compared to some dynos, but the car was bone stock, so I got what I got.

Interesting how relevant and appropriate that much power felt for that car. First car I've ever had where the power felt like it matched the car in every way.

The big Brembos are FANTASTIC brakes. They leave you with confidence at low speeds and hauling it down at "stand on the pedal"-level deceleration from 170+mph. The speed and lack of drama with which they scrub off the speed is phenomenal.

The brakes are the reason I recommend the stock wheel diameters. It's so worth it.

The tires could be wider, all around, as Dodge showed with the widebodies, but I can fit similar tires in the narrow body.

There is no such thing as too much traction.