Hood dust strip

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by hada71rt, Jun 27, 2015.

1. hada71rt

hada71rt Active Member

My hood dust strip finally went so here's what I did..
    1.) Used pieces of blue painters tape to mark the top edge of the dust strip for reference. (That's what they call it)
    2.) Removed the rivets with a small star driver screw driver by putting the end on the center of the rivet and wacking it with a rubber mallet. This drives the rivet pin down into the center of the rivet and allows it to be removed with a plastic removal tool.
    3.) Removed the cup holder plastic (SRT thing) and cleaned the face where the strip was with alcohol.
    4.) Using 3/4" wide x 7/16" thick black self stick weather seal, available at any home center, I affixed it to where the previous strip was using the blue tape as a guide.
    5. This seal, although called black actually looks more like a dark gray, so to get a finished look I cover it with "Scotch" black plastic tape. (See attached pics)
    A couple notes, when I applied the black tape the car, which is black, was sitting with the nose outside the garage in the sun and the engine was hot. As I applied the tape it became so hot to the touch it seemed to bond to the foam.
    I drove the car several times afterward and the tape stayed bonded to the foam.
    So far so good and no rivets or screws required. If I have a problem in the future I'll post it.

The attached PDF shows what the Foam strip, top image, looks like compared to the actual section of dust strip. The vertical part of the dust strip is very stiff compared to the seal part which is the part that's tearing. I think that maybe the two different types of rubber are bonded.
    Hope this helps somebody that has a similar problem..

(OO [::::::::::::::::SRT:::] OO)

Attached Files:

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Good idea. Another solution is to use 2 1/4" garage door weatherstripping and 3M double-sided tape.

3. hada71rt

hada71rt Active Member

Tom, I actually try garage door trim first but the only stuff I could find was too thick and I could barely get the hood to close. I was actually afraid I might cause some damage to it.
    Even after trimming is was difficult. I went to 3 different home centers and couldn't find anything else.

After I did this fix I thought about just using the black "Scotch" tape on the engine side of the strip to seal the split. It wouldn't really be visible anyway. This of course assumes the strip is just torn and not broken and flopping around.

(OO [::::::::::::::::SRT:::] OO)