How long do you let the new oil drain from the jug to capture every drop? Be honest!

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by Cloverdale, Oct 2, 2021.

1. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

I always remember when I was young (around 16) the local Esso guy would always leave a small amount of oil at the bottom of each new quart can. I couldn't help but notice that he didn't fully drain each can. He would set them aside, 5 cans at each customer's oil change, and then add the contents to a large jug of his own. When I asked, he told me that he saved up enough oil to get free oil changes for himself without really denying the customer much oil, maybe 1 or 2 ounces total.
    I guess the oil change guys didn't make much $$ back then. For some reason this always stuck with me over the years. I was a naive kid, just observant.

Octane likes this.
  2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Thrifty guy.

[​IMG]

3. mikeT

mikeT Full Access Member

Sorry, but this is one of those REALLY?????, how many drops are in the oil you are adding compared to how many you left in the oil pan.

4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

You're right, but wait 'til you read the future thread where we post all the different things you can make out of the empty plastic bottles! (once ALL the oil is drained out of course)
    Some of us have a lot of time to thing about stuff like that. I could add that I know a good petroleum joke... but it's a bit crude. LOL

NC20RT likes this.
  5. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

LOL, took the 13th response (yours) to get called on this. I was torn between posting this or the number of full revolutions of the oil filter till snug. You'd be floored by the number of nonsensical, random posts I see on the BMW sight I frequent. A point which might be taken from the responses is our OCD level is commensurate with how much oil one insists on squeezing out of the jug. :happy107:

B5blueRT likes this.
  6. Octane

Octane Full Access Member

A local shop used to save up the drippings of leftover oil and put in a big drum and then they would sell it to local people in the community for a dollar a gallon

NC20RT likes this.
  7. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

^^^ Interesting. I guess we must remember that these were sons of parents and grandparents that lived through the Great Depression and passed on all types of savings tips and ideas. Really tough times and I remember my grandparents passed on some amazing stories to me. My parents were too young to remember but that was the 'normal' to them.

Octane likes this.
  8. Octane

Octane Full Access Member

During the great depression people made dresses and such from flour sacks When the flour companies noticed it they started printing floral and designs on their sacks used for the flour, just to brighten up peoples lives a little.So that is why the bigger cloth flour sacks with those prints on them came about.

NC20RT likes this.
  9. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

My mom was born in 1921 so she was certainly a child of the Great Depression. My grandmother used to take hand-me-down dresses from my mom's cousins and take them apart to make a new dress. Then she would make her own dress pattern out of newspaper and so she could sew a new dress that didn't look like the old dress.

Octane and NC20RT like this.
  10. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

I don't do any night driving in mine so don't ever have to remove them, but I'm thinking many of your cars would have their appearance eclipsed by the headlight blackout and louvers!
    dodge grill.JPG dodge louver.JPG